Replace ehome folder with a backed up copy

RobsterUK

HTPC Specs: Show details

Replace ehome folder with a backed up copy

Post by RobsterUK » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:35 am

Before I try this out I wanted to check to see if anyone knows of the results.
Last time i re-maped all of my channels (I use EPG123 & GuideTool). I created a copy of my ehome folder after I had finished.
If I wanted to revert back to this configuration would replacing this folder have the desired effect? i.e. revert the channel line up and guide listing back to that moment in time.
(I understand this woudl best be performed in safe mode).

Last time i perfomed a windows System Image Restore it didn't seem to resolve all the issues I was having and still had to re-mapp all of the channels over again.
So, wondered if this would get me over a niggling issue.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:25 pm

Restoring mapped channels, Oh, that is a bad thing. When I setup WMC, I want all my channels to be from 1080 to it's OTA channel for example 8.1. After a reset, or re-run of TV s I have tried many times to restore channels with horrible results every time. Every time it's required me to reset WMC back to scratch.

Thing I would suggest, Build Windows to a basic point, where it's very solid. DO a OS drive backup. Keep this backup so if you have an issue needing to restore or just think it needs a refresh.

I guess you could try what your thinking, just kill all the WMC services....I WOULD do a backup before attempting.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

RobsterUK

Post by RobsterUK » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks for the advice.
Basically I keep running into issues where the DB gets some kind of corruption and a single, sometimes multiple channels simply disappear from the channel line up.
I only reset WMC and re-scanned and configure the channel line up 2 weeks ago. Yet one channel has disappeard, I found another variant of this channel which has subsequently disappeared.

For the sake of 1 channel (which is BBC One HD (still have BBC One SD)) i dont want to have to re-do all of the channel config again so soon after recently re-doing it.
Thought a 'quick' copying in of the ehome folder 'might' resolve it. But it sounds as though it isn't worth the risk right now.

I think I'll check to see if there's any other variants available to use. If not I'll put up with SD for now.
The next time I am forced to reset WMC I may try the ehome folder to see what results it has.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:02 pm

RobsterUK wrote:Thanks for the advice.
Basically I keep running into issues where the DB gets some kind of corruption and a single, sometimes multiple channels simply disappear from the channel line up.
I only reset WMC and re-scanned and configure the channel line up 2 weeks ago. Yet one channel has disappeard, I found another variant of this channel which has subsequently disappeared.

For the sake of 1 channel (which is BBC One HD (still have BBC One SD)) i dont want to have to re-do all of the channel config again so soon after recently re-doing it.
Thought a 'quick' copying in of the ehome folder 'might' resolve it. But it sounds as though it isn't worth the risk right now.

I think I'll check to see if there's any other variants available to use. If not I'll put up with SD for now.
The next time I am forced to reset WMC I may try the ehome folder to see what results it has.
I see the problem. I can see how this is a big issue. You could try, a blind copy, and try it. Sean's WMCbackup has a so called lineup backup. Do a complete backup of your OS drive, create a tuner backup with Sean's tool, then reset WMC back to factory. Then try to restore the backup, see if It works. If it fails, just restore your backup. This did work for me once... but, other times I tried it, it was OS level re-install issues. When I used this, it was a rebuild of the system, so you never know if your using the same hardware, same software versions, MAYBE... There are cases where it looks like it worked but, then other issues could show up...crashes, shows being missed, etc.

Good luck, if you try this and are successful or fail, let us know. Wondering if there is a better option but, as someone using WMC from the XP days, really never good results to talk about
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

RobsterUK

Post by RobsterUK » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:13 am

Thanks David.
I've been too busy to re-visit this, this week.
When I give something a try I'll post back the results, although realistically it could be a few weeks.