WMC is crashing on record, or recording schedule

dougsmith

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC is crashing on record, or recording schedule

Post by dougsmith » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:00 pm

WMC7 is crashing when I hit record, or try to access or delete a scheduled recording event.
I suppose this might also be related to to the fact that my drive (SSD with Win7 and other programs) was almost completely out of space, and several recording events crashed before I cloned it to larger SSD. The cloning seemed to work fine. Other programs I have tried all appear to be working. Also, the program guide works fine with no errors besides this, and I can play previously recorded programs without issue.

I have seen a number of posts on this subject, here and elsewhere, and have tried a few things:
I tried removing the database (mcepg2-0.db), but am unable to download a new guide from the location I was using, or from any other zip code in the area (Boston North Shore). The downloading process does not give an error, it just hangs (showing one dot on the progress bar). I also tried removing events related to recording on the task scheduler.

Any ideas?

wilme2

Post by wilme2 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:57 pm

dougsmith wrote:WMC7 is crashing when I hit record, or try to access or delete a scheduled recording event.
I suppose this might also be related to to the fact that my drive (SSD with Win7 and other programs) was almost completely out of space, and several recording events crashed before I cloned it to larger SSD. The cloning seemed to work fine. Other programs I have tried all appear to be working. Also, the program guide works fine with no errors besides this, and I can play previously recorded programs without issue.

I have seen a number of posts on this subject, here and elsewhere, and have tried a few things:
I tried removing the database (mcepg2-0.db), but am unable to download a new guide from the location I was using, or from any other zip code in the area (Boston North Shore). The downloading process does not give an error, it just hangs (showing one dot on the progress bar). I also tried removing events related to recording on the task scheduler.

Any ideas?
See the other active thread. Many of us have this after the Microsoft updates this week.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dougsmith

Post by dougsmith » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Thanks... I tried to go back to a December restore point but it failed since I cloned the disk after that. I re-cloned the SSD from the original drive, and all is good now. In retrospect that turned out to be a convenient way to restore the system to what it was before installing the latest updates. I just need to decide which updates to install now. I guess I'll follow the 'one at a time' method that someone in the other thread mentioned and leave automatic updates off for now.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:48 am

Same here - I reimaged from a December backup and now have to decide how to update. I love this trial-and-error crap...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:10 pm

dougsmith wrote:Thanks... I tried to go back to a December restore point but it failed since I cloned the disk after that. I re-cloned the SSD from the original drive, and all is good now. In retrospect that turned out to be a convenient way to restore the system to what it was before installing the latest updates. I just need to decide which updates to install now. I guess I'll follow the 'one at a time' method that someone in the other thread mentioned and leave automatic updates off for now.
NEXT time you have this issue....

Try to restore at the file level. This is one of the big fixes I found that fixes these problems 90% of the time, depending if you have previous versions enabled (normally enabled by default on windows). Sorry I didn't see this earlier

Go to

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome

In the root of that folder there is a db file. it will be the larger of the DB files, Right click on it, go to properties, select the "previous versions" tab. If you have past versions listed, STOP at this point. This file is WMC's database, if you delete it, WMC will reset to the default but, rolling back will address a change that messed things up.

Make sure WMC is closed, start RUN, services.msc (Or Control panel>administrative tools>services) stop all Windows Media Center services. Then go back to that window with past versions, Try to restore the version the day before this issue started, then reboot the computer, try. If the issue still happens, go back even more (normally if enabled it could have 5-10 versions) rinse and repeat till you find one that fixes it.

Sometimes I would run into this issue after a drive corruption. Just run a full C: disk check and scan to make sure the drive's heath is good on it.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

dougsmith

Post by dougsmith » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:38 pm

Thanks, I'll make a note of that for the future. I applied most of the same updates I had before with no issues. I am thinking that Windows update might screw things up occasionally if certain processes are running - a scheduled event or backup, perhaps.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:54 pm

dougsmith wrote:Thanks, I'll make a note of that for the future. I applied most of the same updates I had before with no issues. I am thinking that Windows update might screw things up occasionally if certain processes are running - a scheduled event or backup, perhaps.
To be honest with you, Windows updates & Media Center is a big topic around here. There has been some updates that are known to break WMC. As WMC is a EOL product, Microsoft does very little testing with WMC if any at all. So updates could be a bad thing for WMC.

I am one who will get a solid WMC machine and disable Windows updates completely. I have a weekly backup run on my C: drive (the OS drive), so if I get a failure, I can roll back *IF* something happens..

I treat my WMC machine as an appliance, no web browsing on it at all..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

mikecandu

Post by mikecandu » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:15 am

Go to

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome

In the root of that folder there is a db file. it will be the larger of the DB files, Right click on it, go to properties, select the "previous versions" tab. If you have past versions listed, STOP at this point. This file is WMC's database, if you delete it, WMC will reset to the default but, rolling back will address a change that messed things up.

Make sure WMC is closed, start RUN, services.msc (Or Control panel>administrative tools>services) stop all Windows Media Center services. Then go back to that window with past versions, Try to restore the version the day before this issue started, then reboot the computer, try. If the issue still happens, go back even more (normally if enabled it could have 5-10 versions) rinse and repeat till you find one that fixes it.

I'm having the same problem and I've reset the database back twice, once to mid January and the last time to the oldest previous version (Nov 23 2017) and I'm still having the same problem. When I try recording from the program guide on the WMC computer WMC crashes and I get the following error code.

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: ehshell.exe
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: 4a5bd053
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 58e46330
Problem Signature 07: 20cf
Problem Signature 08: 100
Problem Signature 09: N3CTRYE2KN3C34SGL4ZQYRBFTE4M13NB
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 4105

It also crashes when I try to record from an extender (Dlink DSM750) . With the extender I can see the windows log off screen and then a message that says something like "The extender has lost contact with the windows media center PC due to network congestion etc"

I'm also having issues downloading the guide and I have to force a download with the C:windows\ehome\mcupdate -uf command.

I'm not sure what to do next but I'm thinking about reinstalling WMC .

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:45 am

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:04 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Reset WMC to brand new....

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 61#p123561
Just backup your recording schedule with something like Sean's WMC backup... it's backup, rebuilt WMC, restore... it does work and is quick and simple.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

mikecandu

Post by mikecandu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:44 pm

I rolled back my windows updates by changing the system restore point to mid-Nov. 2017. That seems to have solved the problem. The guide now downloads and I can record without errors. I changed my update settings so that they do not download and install automatically.

If someone figures out what update causes the problem I'll reinstall the ones that don't cause problems. Otherwise, no more windows updates.

Mike

mikecandu

Post by mikecandu » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:16 pm

After rolling back my system restore point I think the issue is with Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB4033342)

The Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1 is a highly compatible, in-place update for all the previous versions of .NET Framework 4.X. After you install this update, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/4033342

I don't really have the time to investigate it further but others that are having this problem might want to try rolling back that update to see if the guide downloading and recording are fixed.

Mike