Bad channel after FCC reassign

Fatman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Bad channel after FCC reassign

Post by Fatman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:34 am

we had several channels in our area have there frequency reassigned on jan 8th, ch 24.2 comet milwaukee wi is giving me problems.

the other channels appear to be working. 24.2 will play but not record. i was recording a series before the change happened and all was ok. but after the reassign 24.2 plays until wmc tries to start recording then the screen goes blank and i am told there is no signal.

i tried to cancel the series and re-enable the series but it will not let me cancel it.

i have tried disabling the channel and re-enable the channel and have re-scanned many times. also tried a reboot. other shows on 24.2 also
stop recording go to blank screen and say no signal.

my guess is the recording part of wmc is still looking at the old frequency. i would like to completely delete all info for 24.2 and then re-scan. any ideas?

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:14 pm

This ongoing FCC channel repacking is going to be the death of WMC if ROVI cant keep up. I too lost ch24 this week. All I did was go to Add Digital Channels and add in ch24.2 on ch18 and named it some temporary name so I could find it in the guide. Then I went to that channel in the guide and associated it's programming information with the new channel. Then uncheck the old 24.2 and remove it from the guide and change all your recordings from the old channel to the newly added channel. My recordings all happened without a hitch last night. However, since WCGV is now a subchannel of ch18, it went from being HD to only being 480i resolution. Bah!

If you're interested, this is the Milwaukee repack plan
https://www.rabbitears.info/repackchann ... s=&status=

Only 2 Milwaukee stations remain the same, the rest move to new channels or or go off the air. WMC is going to be in a world of hurt if the guide isnt updated frequently with changes as they happen. 24.2 changed on the 8th and its now been two days without it being updated. It will be interesting so see how long until it is updated.

What's really interesting is that many of the Milwaukee changes put them on co-channel freqs with Chicago stations so there's either going to be a lot of interference in both markets or the changes are being carefully choreographed so they occur in both cities simultaneously. In Chicago, only 4 stations are unchanged.

This is from the wikipedia page for WCGV:
"Sinclair, Weigel Broadcasting, and Milwaukee PBS decided on a switch date of January 8 for their various local spectrum moves, and WCGV left the airwaves at 5 a.m. that morning.[19] Sinclair will utilize WVTV's spectrum and continue to map WCGV's main signal to 24.1 and Comet to 24.2 (contrary to earlier statements that it would number to its sharing partner and give up the channel 24 allocation), with Grit moving off WCGV, and the My 24 schedule replacing the former network airing on WVTV-DT2, Get TV on January 2 as part of a one-week simulcast to acclimate viewers before the spectrum switch.[20](WTMJ-TV has begun testing a fourth subchannel and is likely to take Grit in the near future, due to their parent company purchasing Grit owner Katz Broadcasting). The WCGV calls are required to be dropped, and unless Sinclair licenses a secondary low-power station to carry channel 24's signal separately (or holds them on an out-of-market station for warehousing to prevent competitor re-use), they will be made available again for any station to take by the FCC. However, the station will retain the existing channel 24 numbering for the "My 24" and Comet schedules."

As far as your recording issues, Go to Edit channel/Edit sources for your channel and see if there are any bogus sources that should be disabled. It could be that when recording WMC uses a bad source.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:34 pm

How do find out when repacking will happen?

I have a list of the re-assignments but cannot find anything about when this will take place.

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:41 am

Send your listing issues to 'ipgcustomersupport@rovicorp.com' and report the problems to get missing data, missing channels, or mixed up channels data corrected.
Or register here and report or view status https://b2bsupport.tivo.com/

I have a few channel in my area that like you report changed RF ferq. I had to delete the channels from the WMC install, do it either from the guide or use guidetool.
Then add the channels manually in WMC->Tasks->TV-Guide->Add missing channels.
The above works better then trying to change/edit the current channel by changing the RF ferq, as most time it will not work.

Fatman

Post by Fatman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:46 am

dmagerl, thanks for the reply. i could not follow your fix and decided to play the waiting game. i somehow felt this was rovi's fault and wanted to see what happened when the guide was sorted out. i have re-scanned everyday looking for updates. ch 18.3 appeared as a mirror to 24.2 but has no signal yet. in the mean time 24.2 became fully functional again. 24.1 came back and 24.3 finally says no longer broadcasting. to name a few changes.

so my hope is in a week or two rovi can get the guide right and everything will work.

btw, another reason i am not fighting it with manual fixes is that if the guide is right and media center can not run a scan and give us working channels then it is time to move on.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:49 am

Yeah, 24.2 began working for me too. It now shows as having physical channel 18. So it looks like it takes 5 days for the channel changes to trickle down to the guide.

Fatman

Post by Fatman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:17 pm

as of last night, 36.1, .2 and .3 is back. also 24.1 and 24.2 has been on and off for me and are now back. the ch 18 duplicates for ch 24 have never worked for me.

the guide is still wrong for revn tv on 21.1, showing pbs schedule. one of us should post with rovi on mistake.

Fatman

Post by Fatman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:30 pm

I used the email in post #4 above to notify Rovi about 21.1 REV'N TV and received an automatic reply that they will look at it within a week.

Fatman

Post by Fatman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm

dmagerl, do you get ch 68.1. i am not sure if i am not getting it because the guide is wrong or my antenna is not good enough.

skcc2006

Post by skcc2006 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:15 pm

The FCC reassign is just occurring here in Missouri.
One station KY3 broadcasts using 2 call signs and had programming on multiple channels.15,17,19 and 44
In order to give up channel 44 they had to temporarily move the transmitter to their studio in town.
This was necessary to install a new antenna on their tall tower at nearby Fordland, MO.
They moved from 44 to channel 19. First they had to move existing programming from 19 to channel 25.
All this required changing channels several times.
It has been a nightmare with WMC keeping up with all the changes.
The last changes were made yesterday(hopefully), and I was able to get all the call letters directed to the new channels.
The problem is WMC keeps reactivating the old sources which are not checked.
I think recording on one of the new channels causes the problem. It goes back to the old channel and there is no signal there.
When this happens I loose the signal. some programming has as many as 3 split sources
My question is can I somehow delete those old sources ?
They will not be moving back to those channels?
I can't find a way to delete the bad sources.
Because of ROVI I don't think it will do any good to use the setup wizard, it still keeps the old info on the HD.
Then it goes back to what ROVI says.
Any body know how to delete the old sources???