Replace the Windows shell with EhShell??

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Replace the Windows shell with EhShell??

Post by jachin99 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:06 pm

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:55 pm

jachin99 wrote:http://www.geekmag.fr/remplacer-le-shel ... ia-center/ It supposedly worked on Vista
And it does work on Windows 7 (and should work on 8.1/10)... but, with a MAJOR flaw...

If you need to run a program (WinDVD for example), not something that is PART of WMC, it will fail as it depends on the Windows shell. I tried to set this on my HTPC and my Ceton tuner no longer worked as it needs to load it's drivers on startup.

The only thing you can do is try it...

If you get into it and have an issue, hit control + ALT + Delete and select File, RUN and type in "explorer.exe"
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:48 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
jachin99 wrote:http://www.geekmag.fr/remplacer-le-shel ... ia-center/ It supposedly worked on Vista
And it does work on Windows 7 (and should work on 8.1/10)... but, with a MAJOR flaw...

If you need to run a program (WinDVD for example), not something that is PART of WMC, it will fail as it depends on the Windows shell. I tried to set this on my HTPC and my Ceton tuner no longer worked as it needs to load it's drivers on startup.

The only thing you can do is try it...

If you get into it and have an issue, hit control + ALT + Delete and select File, RUN and type in "explorer.exe"
I need to correct myself.... while setting eshell.exe as the Windows shell. If you hit CTL+ALT+Del and run Explorer, you will just run Windows Explorer. You need to edit the registry, set the shell back to Explorer and THEN run explorer again to get the start menu back.

Cool effect if you trying to really lock the desktop down in WMC but, you need to fully test stuff, as some drivers wont even load as they depend on they Windows shell to run... It's very hit or miss..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012