XBox Extenders only connect shortly after reboot?

bartman01

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBox Extenders only connect shortly after reboot?

Post by bartman01 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:30 pm

Been having an issue for a while where the extenders will only connect immediately after a reboot of the HTPC. After the PC has been running for a while, the extenders no longer connect. I finally broke down this weekend and reinstalled Windows 7 from scratch, but it didn't fix the problem. For a short while after a reboot, the extenders connect without issue - and will stay connected without issue until they are turned off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:58 am

Have a look in Windows Event Viewer.....EventViewer/Applications/MediaCenter

See if you can find the name of the error when Xbox wont connect.

Successful connections will be listed there also.

The more info the better.

bartman01

Post by bartman01 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:53 pm

When it fails, there is nothing logged in event viewer.

The error on the XBox 360 is:
Can't Contact PC
Your console can't contact your Windows Media Center PC. Make sure your PC is on and connected to the network.

I just tested it again - PC has been running for a while (last reboot was either last night or early this morning). Got the error on the XBox 360, nothing logged to Event Viewer.

Rebooted PC - Extender connects immediately without issue. The connection is logged in event viewer.

Only other messages related to the Extender are:
Warning: An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Center, 'TeamViewer', with file name 'C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\TeamViewer.exe'.

and

Error: Cannot send Media Center Extender software to Extender 'uuid:10000000-0000-0000-0200-0025AEEDD0B3'. Error: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:22 pm

Did you buy a new router? AV software? new switch? sometimes you need to port forward for firewalls...

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:36 pm

bartman01 wrote:When it fails, there is nothing logged in event viewer.

The error on the XBox 360 is:
Can't Contact PC
Your console can't contact your Windows Media Center PC. Make sure your PC is on and connected to the network.

I just tested it again - PC has been running for a while (last reboot was either last night or early this morning). Got the error on the XBox 360, nothing logged to Event Viewer.

Rebooted PC - Extender connects immediately without issue. The connection is logged in event viewer.

Only other messages related to the Extender are:
Warning: An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Center, 'TeamViewer', with file name 'C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\TeamViewer.exe'.

and

Error: Cannot send Media Center Extender software to Extender 'uuid:10000000-0000-0000-0200-0025AEEDD0B3'. Error: The semaphore timeout period has expired.
I just saw that your using teamviewer. I think that program causes extender connection problems. Not 100% sure as I haven't used it. I cant seem to find confirmation by searching but somebody else here probably knows. You could try uninstalling it then trying to connect after you determine it has been long enough that you have the issue.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:50 am

I agree with CW.

I remember TeamViewer messing with the Echo awhile back. Try this for a test.

Go into Services.....Stop TeamViewer....Startup Type=Disabled

Test Xbox

not sure how to make them work together.....might have to force one or the other to use a different port.
Attachments
TeamViewerXboxConflict001.jpg

bartman01

Post by bartman01 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:54 am

Looks like the issue was with my main switch, a TP Link TL-SG108E. By default it has IGMP snooping turned on, and this blocks multicast messages. Apparently that blocks the ability of the extender to connect - it must send out a multicast message. Not sure why initial setup works fine, and the connection works right after a reboot.

bartman01

Post by bartman01 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:18 pm

FYI - reinstalled TeamViewer once I found the switch configuration issue. It is not interfering with the ability to connect to WMC.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:24 pm

bartman01 wrote:FYI - reinstalled TeamViewer once I found the switch configuration issue. It is not interfering with the ability to connect to WMC.
Also check your network card's sleep feature (normally on the hardware tab). I have seen some cases where a NIC goes to sleep and has a hard time waking up. So you could try, it would fail but, after 2-3 tries it would finally connect.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012