How to wipe all channels and rescan?

xilex

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to wipe all channels and rescan?

Post by xilex » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:00 am

Hi all. Do you know of a way to wipe all the channels from WMC and set them up again? After a recent remapping of the digital channels in my area at the beginning of this month, I could not pick up certain channels. Specifically I am talking about channel 18.9-18.12 in the Los Angeles area.

Things I tried:
- rescan for new channels
- set up tv tuner (set up with antenna detached, set up again with antenna attached)
- delete the epg folders mcepg folders and db files, set up tuner again

None of these worked. In WMC it will display these channels in the guide, but will show no signal. I found out these channels actually exist from asking online, and I am using a Hauppauge tuner so I was able to delete all the channels and do a rescan. These channels were mapped to physical channel 50.

The only way I could get 18.9 to show a signal in WMC is to add a missing channel, and I put 18.9 as the missing channel and mapped it to 50, giving it whatever station name it is supposed to have. Unfortunately this means no guide data (though the accuracy of the guide data is questionable with these recent changes in the channels).

So question is how do I wipe out all the channels so that when it rescans it will map to the correct physical channel? Thank you.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:16 am

viewtopic.php?p=100858#p100858

This will reset WMC completely to Factory New!

i. Click on start

ii. In the search box type in cmd, right click on cmd and select “Run as administrator”

iii. Open a command prompt, and run the following command:

%systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask

iv. Close command window, and reboot the computer.

Then, open up WMC and use Setup CUSTOM this will give you new everything.

viewtopic.php?p=106151#p106151

xilex

Post by xilex » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:34 am

Thank you! I think, in retrospect, WMC Is incorrectly mapping the channels due to the guide data being not up to date. I'm browsing zap2it, titanTV, and TV guide and I feel they are still mapping to the old physical channels.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:17 am

The EPG Guide problems should be fixed by now. If you suspect Guide source problems you might want to check this one for some suggestions...The commands and stuff starts about here...

viewtopic.php?p=122740#p122740

Read everything JohnW248 wrote. He's been here since the beginning. Knows some good stuff

You might not need to reset WMC

To reset the EPG and signal... just run TV Setup

xilex

Post by xilex » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:00 am

Thank you for that information. I tried to do that and ran TV setup again, but it just doesn't map the channels correctly.

18.6-18.12, the station (KSCI) that ran it went bankrupt, closed/sold(?) some spectrum, and 18.6-18.12 got remapped to another physical station: https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php? ... lsign=KSCI under KNLA-CD. I think this problem is different than what people were having issues with (EPG not updating, not ahead far enough). Do you know who I might be able to email to ask about this? I ran across a post that had three emails on the forums but I can't find it anymore.

I think at this time I'm going to use Hauppauge's built-in recording function to record that specific channel for me, and WMC as a proxy for Emby to watch whatever live TV channels are working.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:09 am

There have been a couple guys working on something similar for a few weeks.

viewtopic.php?p=120808#p120808

EPGcollector is mentioned a couple times.

You might just have to wait until it fixes itself, or go get a paid guide that maps your channels correctly

EPG123

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:25 am

Here are a couple things I collected related to Guide.

viewtopic.php?p=99988#p99988

One of my favorites is to setup TV Signal and try different zips until I hit one that gives me what I want. Usually draw a straight line to a big city on a zip map and try them all.

Another is to choose a different lineup during TV Signal Setup

here is the guide section

viewforum.php?f=96

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:02 pm

You can manually add the new channel numbers using the "Add Missing channels" task if you know the physical and logical channel numbers and then manually associate the guide listing to the new channel using the "Edit Channels" task.

Rabbitears shows the physical channel as ch 50, the logical channel is another story. WMC doesnt let you add a subchannel greater than 9. If you really need to add subchannels 10, 11, & 12, you're out of luck with manually adding the channel. What Rabbitears is showing for KNLA's subchannel list (Display channel) is really bizarre. Even if the guide were updated with the change, I'm not sure WMC would allow the double digit subchannels.

Edit: I didnt see your other posting. I see you've already encountered this problem.

MLitt

Post by MLitt » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:27 am

Crash2009 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:16 am http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 58#p100858

This will reset WMC completely to Factory New!

i. Click on start

ii. In the search box type in cmd, right click on cmd and select “Run as administrator”

iii. Open a command prompt, and run the following command:

%systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask

iv. Close command window, and reboot the computer.

Then, open up WMC and use Setup CUSTOM this will give you new everything.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 51#p106151
Does this work on 8.1?