Win 7 Media Center Sleep Issue Asus Z170 Pro Motherboard

WC_Barnstormer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win 7 Media Center Sleep Issue Asus Z170 Pro Motherboard

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:48 pm

Hi, I built a new media center PC using an Asus Z170 Pro motherboard. The system prior to WMC & EPG123 install would sleep and wake up with no issues.

The problem now is that when WMC tries to sleep, the system immediately restarts. It seems to be WMC related because from a cold start the computer will sleep until either mcupdate or epg123 runs and then it goes into the cycle of sleep/restart as per the power plan sleep settings. Also, if I cold start the pc and schedule a recording in WMC then try to put the system to sleep or let it sleep on its own, the sleep/restart cycle starts over again.

Running powercfg -energy gives the following error:

System Availability Requests:System Required Request
The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
Driver Name \FileSystem\srvnet

This indicates the \FileSystem\srvnet is causing the problem but I have no idea where to start trying to isolate it.

Any recommendations and help would be greatly appreciated.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:24 am

srvnet seems to have something to do with sharing of files or media.

I believe I fixed this problem (a long time ago) by telling Windows to ignore any request by this driver to keep the system awake.

This may not be the correct solution for every circumstance, but it worked for me.

This command tells Windows to ignore any request from srvnet to keep the system from going to sleep:

powercfg -requestsoverride DRIVER "\FileSystem\srvnet" System Awaymode

Once you run this it remains until you manually tell it to stop ignoring again (it persists through reboots, etc.)

You can see a thread about this here (related to JRiver, but it's the same issue):
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index. ... ic=79201.0

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:11 am

I have an older ASUS board (specifically the Asus Rampage IV GENE) in my HTPC. I had a heck of a time getting it to sleep correctly in Windows 8.1.

I found what kept mine awake and I'll share the info here with you to see if it helps as I believe that I had the same result when running Powercfg -energy on my own system when troubleshooting this.

If your board has a Intel NIC onboard then try these settings. PS: You'll need the latest Intel Network Drivers for your NIC installed from Asus Website for your specific board.

Open Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System
Click on Device Manager.
Click the > next to Network Adapters to expand the tree.
Right Click your Network adapter and select properties.
Select the Power Management Tab
Under Wake on LAN Uncheck Wake on Pattern Match. (disabled)
You can leave Wake on Magic Packet enabled.

Unchecking Wake On Pattern Match allowed my PC to sleep and wake to record etc. like it's supposed to.

I also entered Power Options in Control Panel

Mine is set to Balanced > Select Change Plan Settings.
Put Computer to sleep is set to 30 Min.

Click on Change Advanced Power Settings.

At the top click Change settings that are currently not available.
Under Sleep click the + to expand the tree.
Under allow hybrid sleep set setting to OFF.
Under Hibernate after set setting to NEVER.
Under USB Selective Suspend I usually set this to Disabled. (This may have no bearing on Sleep but I set this to Disabled anyway)
Under Multimedia Settings click the + to expand the tree.
Set When Sharing Media setting to Allow the computer to enter Away Mode.

After I set all that above she sleeps like a baby.

Under Power Button and Lid
I set my PC to Power Button Action = Sleep
and Sleep Button Action = Sleep as well.
I don't want my kids pushing the power button on the PC and Shutting it down so I set that to Sleep.

I hope this helps you out. :thumbup:
Good Luck,
newfiend

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:31 am

newfiend wrote:I have an older ASUS board (specifically the Asus Rampage IV GENE) in my HTPC. I had a heck of a time getting it to sleep correctly in Windows 8.1.

I found what kept mine awake and I'll share the info here with you to see if it helps as I believe that I had the same result when running Powercfg -energy on my own system when troubleshooting this.

If your board has a Intel NIC onboard then try these settings. PS: You'll need the latest Intel Network Drivers for your NIC installed from Asus Website for your specific board.

Open Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System
Click on Device Manager.
Click the > next to Network Adapters to expand the tree.
Right Click your Network adapter and select properties.
Select the Power Management Tab
Under Wake on LAN Uncheck Wake on Pattern Match. (disabled)
You can leave Wake on Magic Packet enabled.

Unchecking Wake On Pattern Match allowed my PC to sleep and wake to record etc. like it's supposed to.

I also entered Power Options in Control Panel

Mine is set to Balanced > Select Change Plan Settings.
Put Computer to sleep is set to 30 Min.

Click on Change Advanced Power Settings.

At the top click Change settings that are currently not available.
Under Sleep click the + to expand the tree.
Under allow hybrid sleep set setting to OFF.
Under Hibernate after set setting to NEVER.
Under USB Selective Suspend I usually set this to Disabled. (This may have no bearing on Sleep but I set this to Disabled anyway)
Under Multimedia Settings click the + to expand the tree.
Set When Sharing Media setting to Allow the computer to enter Away Mode.

After I set all that above she sleeps like a baby.

Under Power Button and Lid
I set my PC to Power Button Action = Sleep
and Sleep Button Action = Sleep as well.
I don't want my kids pushing the power button on the PC and Shutting it down so I set that to Sleep.

I hope this helps you out. :thumbup:
Good Luck,
newfiend
Thank you for the info, I do have the Intel NIC but it is not connected as I am using wireless. The wireless and NIC worked fine prior toe WMC setup. As far as the power settings, I have been thru every combination config you can think of and nothing seems to solve the issue. It too was ok prior to WMC setup and is fine with the exact same hardware on 2 other machines that do not have WMC setup on them.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:38 am

Srvnet is related to media streaming through Homegroups. There are two ways disable this:

1. go to control panel/homegroup and leave all homegroups.
2. go to control panel/homegroup/change advanced sharing options and disable media streaming for both home and public profiles.

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:39 am

Space wrote:srvnet seems to have something to do with sharing of files or media.

I believe I fixed this problem (a long time ago) by telling Windows to ignore any request by this driver to keep the system awake.

This may not be the correct solution for every circumstance, but it worked for me.

This command tells Windows to ignore any request from srvnet to keep the system from going to sleep:

powercfg -requestsoverride DRIVER "\FileSystem\srvnet" System Awaymode

Once you run this it remains until you manually tell it to stop ignoring again (it persists through reboots, etc.)

You can see a thread about this here (related to JRiver, but it's the same issue):
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index. ... ic=79201.0
Hi, I had found
"powercfg -requestsoverride driver \FileSystem\srvnet system" to stop the system from sending requests to avoid system standby and
"powercfg -requestsoverride driver \FileSystem\srvnet" to start the system back.

I was really hoping to find the culprit of what is actually causing the issue if at all possible. I may try the above commands to see if it will fix the issue if I cannot figure out what is causing the instant restarts.

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:48 am

dmagerl wrote:Srvnet is related to media streaming through Homegroups. There are two ways disable this:

1. go to control panel/homegroup and leave all homegroups.
2. go to control panel/homegroup/change advanced sharing options and disable media streaming for both home and public profiles.
Hi,
No homegroup is joined and media streaming is turned off. Neither has been enabled since build.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 am

Have you tried powercfg -lastwake to see what woke it up?

Wireless devices such as wireless mice and keyboards will also immediately wake computers like you describe.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:34 am

dmagerl wrote:Have you tried powercfg -lastwake to see what woke it up?

Wireless devices such as wireless mice and keyboards will also immediately wake computers like you describe.
Agreed powercfg -lastwake right after a "random wakeup event" may help narrow down what's waking the PC.

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:17 am

newfiend wrote:
dmagerl wrote:Have you tried powercfg -lastwake to see what woke it up?

Agreed powercfg -lastwake right after a "random wakeup event" may help narrow down what's waking the PC.

Yes I have tried powercfg -lastwake and it comes back with "Unknown". I have disabled keyboard, mouse etc. prior to finding the powercfg -energy showing that it is being caused by Driver Name \FileSystem\srvnet is causing it to instantly restart when the system tries to sleep.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:45 am

One last thing to try and then I'm out of ideas. Go into start button/administrative tools/services and stop the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:06 am

For HAHA's.. Does your wireless network adapter have the Wake on Pattern Match option? Is it enabled? And if so can you disable and try sleeping the PC?

It's my curiosity getting the best of me.. I know it's a log shot.
newfiend~

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:41 am

I have not had time to check into some of the settings ie. wake on pattern match yet. However, I decided to set the sleep shutdown to 5hours and just let the computer run after having scheduled several shows. Go figure, it started behaving like a real WMC PC and is going to sleep properly etc. Today, I dropped the sleep time to 2 hours and so far all is still good. At this point I have no idea what has happened unless leaving it alone and letting it get settled in fixed it.

I will go back and check the settings just to see but I did not want to do that right now with it seemingly working ok. Will probably post back Sat. unless it stops sleeping again.

Again, thanks to all for their input and suggestions...

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:21 am

What was the sleep timer set to before? If it was set to never, it'll never sleep.

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:15 am

dmagerl wrote:What was the sleep timer set to before? If it was set to never, it'll never sleep.
I started out with the sleep timer on 1 hour and then 2 hours. After seeing the computer going up and down like a yo yo I decided to set it to 5 hours so at worst case it would only go down and come back up one time during the night. After doing this it went to sleep on its own after mcupdate and epg123 ran at 5am.

AND it is still working so far. Go figure.

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:40 am

Well I am sad to say the the issue has come back, (Like I really didn't expect it to) . Driver Name \FileSystem\srvnet is causing it to instantly restart when the system tries to sleep. It is a little different today in that it did not cause a reboot that I am aware of, it just did not allow the computer to sleep at all.
To answer previous ?: There are No magic packets settings on the wireless network card. The NIC is not being used and would therefore not allow me to modify the magic packet setting.

So at this point I am almost back at square one with this beast.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:40 am

I am sure you tried a lot of stuff but here is a guide (for Win8.1 but I think it's the same for Win7):

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-8/fix- ... ill-sleep/

If you have any systems on your network accessing shares from your machine, that will apparently cause this problem (although I had the problem without any active sharing). The purpose is to prevent the PC from going to sleep while actively sharing files with another device on the network.

As I indicated, I did the override (method 4 in that guide) to make the PC ignore the request by srvnet to keep it awake. I think as long as you don't have any files being written between two machines using file sharing it should not cause any problems.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:59 am

This is totally off the wall, do you have any USB devices and how are their USB ports configured?

Sometimes when going to sleep and the USB +5v goes away, it causes the USB device to wake the port which then causes the computer to immediately turn back on.

On older motherboards there were jumpers on the ports to select either +5v or +5vsb (5volts stand by). +5v turns off with the computer, +5vsb stays and keeps the port powered. On newer motherboards, there will be bios settings to select the voltage. Sometimes changing the USB voltage to +5vsb will allow the computer to sleep and not wake up. You also need +5vsb for the remote control port.

Some motherboards will have non configurable USB ports where some are dedicated to +5v and others to +5vsb. You have to pick the proper port to power your device.

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:18 pm

So, I just found maybe another piece of this puzzle. Yesterday, the computer would not sleep, did a full shutdown and expected it to sleep after 2 ish hours, it did not. Checked powercfg -energy and it indicated it was srvnet again. So, I did a restart on the computer and powercfg -energy no longer showed srvnet as an issue. Computer did not sleep by itself. I used WMC remote to put it to bed around 10:00pm and it stayed asleep until the guide updated and then went back to sleep like it should. Also, had a show scheduled to record from 2pm-4pm and it recorded the show and when to sleep 11 minutes after the show was over.

Any ideas as to why a restart vs shutdown would help or is it just coincidence?

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:26 pm

Do you have a server or other computer that you pull files from?

There is a reg hack that allows sleep with files open, otherwise it wont sleep.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\d4c1d4c8-d5cc-43d3-b83e-fc51215cb04d]
"Attributes"=dword:00000000

It exposes a new setting in the advanced power settings window.

A reboot would certainly reset any open files but I think its coincidence.
Attachments
Capture.JPG