Question about recorded TV

lucasbuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

Question about recorded TV

Post by lucasbuck » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:35 pm

I'm sure this has been answered, but I've searched and no luck, if somebody can point me in the right direction. The drive that I had set for recorded TV keeps running out of space. I have a spare drive in my HTPC that's a little bigger. Can I just set it as my recorded TV location and move my already saved files over or would they not work. What I would like to do is to link the two drives. I know there's a way to set a junction between paths but I can't remember how to do it and don't know if that would even work. Any suggestions on the best way to get more space would be greatly appreciated.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:47 pm

You can set it as your new location for recorded TV and move the existing files to that drive, it should work fine. You can also change it to use the new drive but keep the old files on the old drive, I believe WMC will automatically turn that path in to a "recorded TV" library, so you will still see those recordings, but no new recordings will be saved to the old drive.

If WMC does not automatically convert that path to a library, you can do it yourself. Just use "Recorded TV" as the library type.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11214/a ... ia-center/

Note that you mentioned "linking" the drives. If what you meant was to link the drives to create one big recording "pseudo-drive", no you cannot do this, WMC will only record to a single folder. But like I mentioned above, it you make one folder the recording location and another a "Recorded TV" library, you can record and playback videos in the first folder and playback videos in the second folder. Videos from both locations (or more, if you want to add even more library locations) will appear mixed together (sorted by record type, grouped by show, etc.) as if they were all in the same place.

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Sorry for the late responce, I had been researching using a junction to link two paths on two different drives. I thought that would work.

Alan G

Post by Alan G » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:41 pm

I just rebuilt my HTPC as I was having a power supply issue. I upgraded the hard drive to 1TB. I copied all the saved shows onto an external HD and then simply moved them into the recorded TV folder on the HD in the new setup (I don't have a lot of shows saved so it was pretty easy). If you have space in your HTPC to mount the new HD, copying will go much faster than via the approach I took. No shows were lost or files corrupted. This is probably the easiest approach to take and of course you need to make sure that the target drive is appropriately listed in WMC.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Alan G wrote:I just rebuilt my HTPC as I was having a power supply issue. I upgraded the hard drive to 1TB. I copied all the saved shows onto an external HD and then simply moved them into the recorded TV folder on the HD in the new setup (I don't have a lot of shows saved so it was pretty easy). If you have space in your HTPC to mount the new HD, copying will go much faster than via the approach I took. No shows were lost or files corrupted. This is probably the easiest approach to take and of course you need to make sure that the target drive is appropriately listed in WMC.
I did pretty much the same thing... I moved to 2tb drive for TV...now for a total of 12.5tb of storage in my HTPC :)

Installed new drive. Shut down media center services, Moved all data to new drive, Went into disk manager, changed drive letters and replaced drive letters so the new one was the same as the old one... shut down PC, removed old drive and started up WMC to confirm everything was working as such.

A way to do it with out changing in WMC :)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:52 pm

There is actually a registry tweak that will let you record to a network path in WMC. I can't remember where the link for it is but I think I found it on the Web Archive in the old hack 7mc site. I use a robocopy script to move recorded tv to my server, and from there I use VAP to remove the commercials, and move those files to their permanent location on a dedicated media drive within my server.