No sound when HTPC wakes up

Mike88

HTPC Specs: Show details

No sound when HTPC wakes up

Post by Mike88 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:54 am

Sometimes when I wake up the HTPC to watch a recording there is no sound. This used to happen infrequently & I thought maybe I accidentally hit the mute button on the keyboard when doing a Windows update. Or it was just a random glitch.

But it’s now happened the last 3 times I watched a recording.

I use a remote with the volume control set to operate the AVR. But it’s Windows that is muted, so I have to grab the wireless keyboard & un-mute Windows.

The HTPC goes into sleep mode when WMC is not active. Every couple weeks I’ll do a Windows Restart or Shut down. The drivers have remained the same for years.

Googling results show some people had the same issue with Windows & the fix was usually installing some software and/or setting up some kind of schedule to solve the problem.

But my system has been stable & trouble free for years. Could doing the last monthly Windows 7 update have changed something?

Any suggestions?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:33 am

Try this....

viewtopic.php?p=20496#p20496

Or, dont let her sleep.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:06 am

Thanks for the reply.

I read the link you provided & it seems to pertain to Dolby Digital out of the S/PDIF port.

However I'm using HDMI into the AVR and I do get DD. But sometimes the HTPC wakes up and the small speaker icon in the lower right corner of the Windows screen shows the audio is muted. (that's after I minimize the WMC screen in order to see the Windows desktop).

This used to happen rarely & the HTPC has been trouble free for years, But now for some reason the Windows > Volume Mixer > Device > HDMI output is getting muted more often when waking up.

Sleep mode uses only 2W of electricity & has been working flawlessly. Plus all the fans get turned off & the PC is silent.

I may be able to program an unused button on the remote to toggle the volume on/off on the PC, just like the mute button on the wireless keyboard. That would make it handy to un-mute the sound. But I'm curious why this is happening in the first place.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:13 am

Have you tried using another HDMI cable? I've seen reports of this type of issue when there are problems with the HDMI handshake.

I used to see this problem from time to time on my system, but can't remember the last time I've seen it. I don't remember what may have fixed it.

I have HDMI directly to the TV and always turn on the TV first (and wait until it is completely on) before I wake up the HTPC (unless the HTPC is in "away mode" recording a scheduled recording in which case I wait until the TV is completely on before pressing a button on the remote to bring the HTPC out of away mode.)

This routine may be why I have not had the problem in a long while, but I don't know for sure.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:34 am

I have HTPC to AVR to TV all with HDMI connections.

I usually switch the AVR input to the HTPC before waking up the HTPC. But doing the reverse makes no difference.

The HDMI from HTPC to AVR is actually two 6' cables with an automatic switcher connecting them. The switcher is just used as a coupler at the moment IOW I needed a 12' cable & didn't have one, but had the unused switcher laying around so I used it. Something could be acting up in that long connection. I'll have to get a new cable that's 12' long. I'll play around with disconnecting the HDMI cable before waking up the HTPC & see if that causes the problem.

In the meantime I did program an unused button on the remote to toggle the PC's audio on/off. Getting up & getting the keyboard was not a big deal, but having the remote do the job is just handier.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:18 pm

Ah, Windows updates.. I would try to roll back the last set of updates, then reboot to see if the problem goes away. I have been running a WMC machine from the XP days and was very active beta tester for Vista and 7 versions of WMC. Microsoft dropped WMC so there is very limited testing on Windows 7 updates with WMC.

Odds are a rollup came down with a bad driver/update.

I would start where things started to happen and step forward, removing the last set of updates would be my first step.

Been doing this a LONG time. And there has been MANY times where a Windows update BROKE or changed something that effected WMC in some way. On my last rebuild, I completely disabled Windows update. My HTPC is rock solid, still...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:00 pm

I woke up the HTPC when it was not connected to the already on AVR. Connected the 2 & no problem.

Woke up the HTPC when not connected to the turned off AVR. Connected the 2, turned on the AVR & no problem.

As mentioned it doesn't happen all the time, just being happening more often.

I did consider turning off the updates, but once in a great while the HTPC is used to watch a program streamed from NBC, TNT, etc. So I figured might be worth keeping it updated.

I'll restore Windows prior to the last update & see if that reduces the frequency of the problem.

stu

Post by stu » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:31 pm

I just returned to 7mc after a year with a cheap sky q deal (it's not perfect but works very well imho, tho I never got to the bottom of the frequent audio glitches) and I've been suffering the same issue which never happened before. I solved it by setting my AVR (an Onkyo NR636) to enable HDMI thru when in standby. My htpc wakes up faster than my avr so it disabled the hdmi audio out on my radeon card.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:50 pm

Mike88 wrote:I have HTPC to AVR to TV all with HDMI connections.

I usually switch the AVR input to the HTPC before waking up the HTPC. But doing the reverse makes no difference.

The HDMI from HTPC to AVR is actually two 6' cables with an automatic switcher connecting them. The switcher is just used as a coupler at the moment IOW I needed a 12' cable & didn't have one, but had the unused switcher laying around so I used it. Something could be acting up in that long connection. I'll have to get a new cable that's 12' long. I'll play around with disconnecting the HDMI cable before waking up the HTPC & see if that causes the problem.

In the meantime I did program an unused button on the remote to toggle the PC's audio on/off. Getting up & getting the keyboard was not a big deal, but having the remote do the job is just handier.
Most likely a HDCP handshake issue specifically "The HDMI from HTPC to AVR is actually two 6' cables with an automatic switcher connecting them. The switcher is just used as a coupler at the moment" You need 1 cable in order for the HDCP/EDID to sink properly. Also I would scrutinize your AVR for the latest FW if it is upgradeable or look into a HDCP fixer like HDFury or Geffen detective.

https://www.firefold.com/blog/edid/

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:51 am

Mike88 wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I read the link you provided & it seems to pertain to Dolby Digital out of the S/PDIF port.
Sorry about that, you're right. Wrong link.

I meant to send you this one....

viewtopic.php?p=85106#p85106

I assume you are setup as Richard suggested in Post #29?

If yes, you might have an EDID problem.

Basically the HTPC wakes up and knocks on the AVR's door.

HTPC says: "I want to play some Recorded TV that has Video and Audio"

AVR says: "I'll let the video through for now, but if that TV expects to get some audio.....I am shutting down all audio"

As I recall....Many of the members here get around that problem by using a Powered HDMI Splitter before the AVR.

HTPC to Splitter to AVR
HTPC to Splitter to TV

Many don't like this idea, because they have other reasons why they want the TV connected to the AVR output

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:32 am

It seems like a handshaking issue. Yet when I wake up the HTPC without an HDMI connection, then connect it to the AVR which is turned off, then turn on the AVR, there is sound. Wouldn’t the fact that there was no HDMI connection when waking up create a handshaking issue?

Since the mute problem seldom occurred until recently I’d like to figure out & fix the problem if possible rather than using some device between the HTPC & the AVR.

Crash2009 -
Interesting link that you provided since we both are in it. I’m sure it made sense a couple years ago but will have to read through it a couple times & re-digest the info. And check my audio settings in case something has changed for some reason.

My AVR controls the switching between the HTPC, Dish DVR, & Blu-ray player so the TV is connected to the AVR output.

I’ve been trying different sequences of turning on components to find a pattern that may be causing the problem before rolling back Windows. It’s really random. Audio may mute one time, but when repeating the sequence everything is OK.

When the blue WMC screen comes up the volume is indicated in the upper right corner, or shows it’s muted with an “X”. But one time yesterday it opened with an “X” and about a second later it just automatically changed to show the volume level, & consequently worked. Would this be indicative of a handshaking issue?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:20 am

Mike88 wrote:Wouldn’t the fact that there was no HDMI connection when waking up create a handshaking issue?
If there is no connection......Nothing can happen. When you connect the cable, I am pretty sure both ends start yacking, and negotiating, then settle on a handshake. What these Powered HDMI Splitters do.....is they remember and store all the negotiation and yacking, and tell both sides....Stop your Yacking! ...and... Start Connecting!

For example, when WMC wakes up, the Powered Splitter, (Never Shut It Off) remembers the connection negotiation for all 3 connections, and connects them the same way they were prior to being shut off. Negotiation is removed from the equation. All the the Powered Splitter has to say to all 3 connections is.....I have a signed copy of your negotiation and personally witnessed your handshake. Stop your whining and connect!

Give yourself an early Xmas present. Sign up for a Free Membership at https://www.extron.com/product/index.aspx?s=tab01 It's Safe, No Spam. I have been a member there for several years. They explain EDID Handshake in simple terms that are easy to understand. Some of the articles even include illustrations. Membership gives you full access to the Entire Site including the Tech Library.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:39 am

Mike88 wrote:
My AVR controls the switching between the HTPC, Dish DVR, & Blu-ray player so the TV is connected to the AVR output.
IF the AVR controls the switching, then it must have an EDID SINK. (same as a powered splitter)

AVR must be left ON. Otherwise the contents of the EDID SINK are lost. I would imagine some amps have an "always on SINK"

My HDMI 4X4 Matrix Splitter has been on since 2012. Every time we have a power failure, I have to turn everything on in order. Sometimes I even have to force handshake by removing and reconnecting HDMI cables.

I have 4 in's (sources) and 4 out's (destinations)

You will have to experiment with yours....to find the correct ON order.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:51 am

Here is my adventure with EDID failure....

You will need to be a member of Extron to view the links in the post.

Understanding EDID.pdf put it all together for me. http://www.extron.com/download/files/wh ... g_edid.pdf

viewtopic.php?p=65641#p65641

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:16 am

Crash2009 wrote:Here is my adventure with EDID failure....

You will need to be a member of Extron to view the links in the post.

Understanding EDID.pdf put it all together for me. http://www.extron.com/download/files/wh ... g_edid.pdf

viewtopic.php?p=65641#p65641
Thanks for all the information.
I'll sign up for an account.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:23 pm

Crash2009 -

I tried to register with Extron. They sent an email asking why I wanted to. I replied with what seemed like a tactful & appropriate response.
They replied. "The insider portion of our website is reserved for our resellers. Do you have an Existing Extron system that you are working with? Is this a project for your company or for a client that you are supporting?"

Doesn't look like I'll be getting access to their website.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:53 am

Bummer, they probably tossed me too.

I'll look around at home to see if I hijacked any of those pdf's

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:10 pm

Crash2009,

I Googled "Extron EDID PDF" and the first result was this:
http://www.extron.com/download/files/ar ... ngedid.pdf

Does that look like the same pdf you referred to?

Edie - It looks like your URL has "whitepaper" in it so it may be a different pdf.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:56 pm

Here are a couple files on the EDID subject.

The UG-HD-44 is my HDMI 4X4 Matrix Switcher. Your AMP/Switcher might have similar settings for the HDMI Ports. On mine I can "Force Settings" 1080, 720, audio 5.1, 7.1, 2 channel, or just use Auto.

As I recall *.pdf is not allowed here. You will need to UnZip and extract. These were zipped using WinRar. Most un-zipper's will handle *.rar
Attachments
UG-HD-44.rar
(390.37 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
understanding_edid.rar
(714.84 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
edid_guide_wp.rar
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 24 times

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:27 am

Crash2009,
Thanks for the additional information.

It appears your Understanding EDID .rar and the .pdf one I found contain the same or almost the same information. The dates are slightly different & so are the page layouts, but the content appears the same doing a quick read through.

I wasn’t aware .pdf files were not allowed. However I’m unable to edit & change that posting.

I’m using 7-Zip which can extract .rar files but cannot make one. So here’s a .zip file of the article I found.
understandingedid-2.zip
(1000.28 KiB) Downloaded 28 times