Accessing shares from WMC that are on the network

b123guy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Accessing shares from WMC that are on the network

Post by b123guy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:13 am

Hi!
Not necessarily a Noob with computers but wanted to post a question. I'm a bit late to the game, but have been wanting to build a wmc for a number of years.. just never had the money or resources to do. I have my WMC on one computer and most of my music and media are on a HDD that's attached to my router (ASUS). I can access the shares just fine on the computer, but on any extender, I only see what's on the WMC computer. Seems like default behaviour. However, this is not something that will work for me. I intend to replace the single HDD on my router with a full 6TB freenas. The freenas does have the ability to do a VM that could host my WMC, which may be my solution but I'd really like to put the WMC pc near my Big Tv in the living room with the nice sound system. i've tried a fix that I found which worked briefly, then that fix hosed my WMC , which was to go in safe mode and point the pubic\music to the network share. Folder redirection does work well in some instances but didn't seem to here for long. I installed media browser, but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions or anything that has worked for any of you?

Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:38 am

The extender should see everything Your WMC can see. Which extenders do you use? Have you tried setting up libraries from within the extender?

Have you enabled SMB Server in the router? On the next tab add your username and password to the list

First picture is the common tab
Second picture is the Network Neighborhood tab

Setup your network
Get all your PC's on the same Workgroup
Then setup libraries in WMC

When you setup wmc, libraries will ask you where your stash is...

1-on this computer and mapped drives attached to this computer
2-on a different computer
3-manually add a shared folder will give you the option for username and password as well as setting the network path.

Use option 3, and point WMC to the drive on the router

We are working on the same thing over here viewtopic.php?p=122453#p122453
Attachments
AsusSharing001.JPG
AsusSharing002.JPG