WMC says it recorded full show. Actual recording shows diff

choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC says it recorded full show. Actual recording shows diff

Post by choliscott » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:08 am

Hi Everyone,

It was pointed out to me that some of the shows WMC recorded was only recording 20 minutes instead of the hour the show is on for. When I look at the history, it said it recorded the full hour successfully & didn't list any errors.

Has anybody seen this or know what would cause this? I was thinking it might be a space issue, but I would think, it would have automatically deleted something to make room

Thanks

Space

Post by Space » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:27 am

Which parts of the show is it recording?
  • Starts on time and records to a certain point.
  • Starts late and records to the end.
  • Starts on time and records bits and pieces of the show until the end.
Also, is the guide correct? i.e. if the show is supposed to be an hour, does the guide indicate that the show is an hour?

In all the cases above, WMC will usually put a message in the History as to why it did not record the full show.

I have seen in some cases (where there is a bad signal) that WMC will record the show in bits and pieces (third option above) and not log a message to the History. In many cases it does log an error in History and attempts to schedule another airing of the same episode to record. I guess if WMC does not think the signal loss was severe enough it does not consider it an error and does nothing.

I have seen WMC get minor signal loss and log an error in History, as well as re-schedule the recording, even though it was only a minor loss and the recording is basically fine. But I have also seen where the recording is missing major parts (like an hour show only recorded 20 minutes) and WMC thinks it is fine.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:30 am

It starts on time & stops after recording 20-23 minutes (on a 60 minute show). I couldn't go back & look at the guide to see if that particular episode showed 60 minutes, but looking at the recording history, it did mention the start & stop time was an hour apart.

I have had other shows record in segments, but there was no other files for the same show. You mentioned signal. I will take a look at that.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Space

Post by Space » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:19 am

I have seen where if the signal goes in and out, but not for a long period at any one time, the recording will continue (with audio/video dropouts) and WMC will think the recording is fine even though the recording is shorter than it should be (due to the dropouts). It does not stop recording and then start a new recording like it might if there was some other kind of error.

If the History shows that it recorded the full 60-minutes, but the recording is shorter, it could be due to this. Are you sure the recording (at least the part that did record) is full and complete without any video or audio drop-outs?

yo_vinay

Post by yo_vinay » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Read this thread and see if it describes what yours is doing:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10828

I did get it resolved, but am not sure what actually resolved it.

V