Dolby ATMOS & HDR in Win 7 or 8

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Dolby ATMOS & HDR in Win 7 or 8

Post by jachin99 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Has anyone found a way to achieve this? My first thought would be to use an external video player but I'm not sure if those formats are even playable on anything except WIn 10. I looked at PowerDVD 17 but the site claims you need at least Win 10 build 1511 with fall updates in order to get 4k content.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:00 pm

It looks like there is build of LAV in the pipes that includes BD UHD disc support & BD menu support. If sharks can get this into their codec pack maybe we could see this in WMC?? There looks to be quite a bit of enthusiasm about this over at the JRiver forums, and someone has found a way to copy SOME BD UHD discs. I'm guessing that's why developers are starting to find ways to introduce things like HDR into media center software.

EDIT!! I might not be understanding correctly about the BD Menus but here is this from the JRiver Forum

Summary for this thread:
- Unencrypted UHD BD Playback support is now possible in MC (needs manual update from LAV Nightlies for now)

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:31 pm

I finally sorted this out. IF you bitstream the audio I believe you can get dolby atmos in WMC BUT HDR require support in LAV relies on support from the video renderer as well, which is something EVR in win 7 does not support.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:18 pm

jachin99 wrote:I finally sorted this out. IF you bitstream the audio I believe you can get dolby atmos in WMC BUT HDR require support in LAV relies on support from the video renderer as well, which is something EVR in win 7 does not support.
I don't think Windows 8 support HDR and going to Windows 10 for WMC is too much of a headache if you depend on it, Once update and your done for a while.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:33 pm

MPC-HC with mad VR can upscale to 4k and HDR but only for unencrypted sources, and I'm not too sure about the hardware requirements. I think because you don't have to worry about all the DRM crap on unencrypted content it should just be a matter of whether or not your PC can handle the CPU/GPU requirements.