Windows Updates - Audio dropouts

jasonacg

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows Updates - Audio dropouts

Post by jasonacg » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:04 am

First, I apologize in advance if this has already been answered. If it's here, I must not have searched on the right keywords.

I haven't run a Windows Update on my Win7 WMC system in a very long time. The last time I did, I had a problem with audio playback. Several minutes after starting a program, either live TV or recorded program, I would get a brief dropout in the audio. The next dropout would occur in half the time of the first. The next one was half again, and again, and so on, until the audio was completely gone. If I paused the program, changed channels, or changed programs, the cycle would start again.

Due to a hard drive failure, I'm now working from an older image of my Win7 machine, from back before I applied and reverted the updates. As a result, I don't know which update(s) caused the problem, and which ones to exclude.

Is anyone else familiar with this problem, and can tell me what I should avoid during the update process? I probably have about 100 different updates, and deleting them one at a time to find the problem, isn't really practical.

Thanks for your help.

DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:42 pm

I've been running into a minor audio drop out issue (windows 7, windows updates off but, manually add updates every once and a while) when watching a bitstreamed movie (HD audio)...minor pops every once and a while. I never paid enough attention to it for the timing of it. It's just every once and a while.

If you find a update that does it, I would love to know what KB number added this problem.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012