Only 20 movies appear in the WMC Movie library

JmpnJimBob

HTPC Specs: Show details

Only 20 movies appear in the WMC Movie library

Post by JmpnJimBob » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:36 pm

I've got an interesting problem, only 20 of my 500 plus movies show up in my WMC Movie library.
It used to work fine. I've been using WMC for years and it has worked fine until just lately.

Here's a little about my system. I have a server computer with a bunch of drives in another room in the house. I have 1 drive where my recorded TV shows are located. All of the shows are in their own subdirectory named after the show itself which are all under a Television main directory.

So Drive Root - Television - Game of Thrones (2011) - Season 01 - Individual episode video

My movies are setup the same way but are spread out on two hard drives.

Drive Root - Movies - American Graffiti (1973) - Individual Movie video

I use two drives for my movies because of the number of movies, over 500.

WMC used to show all of the videos from both of the hard drives, but suddenly it only shows 20 movies total. And those 20 movies are from both of the movie hard drives.

I have also been using EMBY's Media Browser Classic for WMC with EMBY's Server setup on the computer hosting the drives with the video files. This isn't new, I've been using this setup for a couple of years. I generally use EMBY's Media Browser for viewing my media. So I'm not sure when the problem started exactly because everything appears while using it.

I deleted the drives from the library and re-added them to still find only 20 videos again. I formatted the drive and reloaded Windows 7 and then enabled WMC. After adding the drive pathways in the library setup I once again only have 20 movies showing up. And it's the same 20 videos that I have previously.

All of my television shows are showing up, but my movies aren't.

Any thoughts?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:29 am

If you formatted and went fresh 7, New WMC that pretty much eliminates the w7 box, my guess would be some kind of server or Win7 network problem. Server allows 20 but not 21.

Can you navigate from FileManager on Win7 to Server and click on one of the missing movies? Does it play in WMC?

Have you setup a Homegroup or Workgroup?

Have you done any manual sharing? Drive Mapping?

Are your User permissions matching between W7 and Server?

Maybe we need some server details

JmpnJimBob

Post by JmpnJimBob » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Yes, I can see all of the movies when I access the movies using Filemanager. If I click on a movie from FileManager it plays in WMC just fine.

My network is an old-school windows Workgroup that I've been using since the days of Windows 95. Hey, it works why change.

The drives aren't mapped but shared and I can access the media drives from all my other systems, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm using Win 7 Pro on the host computer and am fairly sure that the permissions and shares are fine since I can access the media drives from my other systems.

Since I did a complete format and re-install of Win 7 on my HTPC I too am starting to believe that the problem lies on the computer hosting the drives. I'm hoping someone might have some sort of information on what on the server system might be causing the weird issue with WMC. I really don't want to rebuild this system because there's a lot of different things that it does keeping it from being the simple rebuild that the HTPC was. But that's what it's starting to look like.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:45 pm

Install your codecs... This happens to me every time I rebuild. If Media center does not know what type of codec it is(aka does not know how to play the file), it will not show the video. I have over 400 movies, and more and more of them are done in x265 (love the compression vs. quality). My system only shows like 75 movies till I install my codecs.

Shark's codec pack is pretty good.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:48 am

DavidinCT wrote:Install your codecs
good one, that makes a lot of sense