Issue with WMC live TV on new 4k TV

nofronts

HTPC Specs: Show details

Issue with WMC live TV on new 4k TV

Post by nofronts » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:54 pm

I just upgraded my 6 year old Samsung 8500 series 1080P TV to a new LG OLED55C7P 4K. So far everything looks more then great on the new screen except for OTA live TV through WMC. Before on the old Samsung the live TV was excellent with great picture, rich vivid colors and smooth motion. With the new 4K though im having issues with the picture quality being very grainy and also it appears that the picture is way to bright like the contrast is turned up to the max so the white is bleaching out the picture. Like i said EVERYTHING else that I watch on the new LG like movies, Blu-ray, and even Netflix from the web browser looks amazing and way better then the old display its just the live TV that is messed up.

Whats also strange is that the other screens in WMC are nice and sharp and appear to be displaying perfectly like the menus and setup screens. I have read up on this last night and tried to change some of the settings in WMC like setting the display resolution to 1080p 60hz and even 1080p 30 hz and I'm still just not getting a decent picture. I understand that the picture will be up converted from the display but that does not explain why the image is also washed out?

Ive been through all the menus in WMC and i see no way to change the brightness, contrast or any other display option just for WMC alone. Are there separate setting that i'm overlooking in WMC that pertain only to the display of WMC and wont affect the rest of the computers display?

I also installed lav filters since it was brought up in a few other articles i read but i really didn't notice any difference from it on any medium?

Please anyone who has had this issue and worked through it please let me know how to get a decent picture in WMC live TV on a 4k display. Thank!

jec6613

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jec6613 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:26 pm

Usually, your WMC should be running at the native resolution of your display - if that's 4K, run it at 4K. The built-in scaler will upcovert to 4k in a mathematically near perfect model.

It sounds like you need to update your video card drivers, or the video card itself, because the 4K deep color space is not being interpreted correctly by the TV. What are your system specs?