Fix WMP library imports

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Fix WMP library imports

Post by jachin99 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:18 pm

Each time I import my music library I end up with about a thousand songs whose metadata imports successfully, and about three thousand songs that WMP doesn't pick up metadata for. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:36 am

Usually the problem is the song is named incorrectly.. at least in the case of movies.

Do you know where wmp is getting the metadata from? If so go to the metadata provider website and see how they named it then rename your song and see if it gets it right.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:52 am

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:30 pm

After investigating, I think what it comes down to is that the track number prepends about eighty percent of my songs for some reason. I ripped all this music with WMP (Or ITunes) three years ago, and its been imported to a few different media centers so I'm wondering of one of them changed it. What threw me off was that WMP in WHS 2011 gets all the metadata correct. My fix for it at the moment is to add each CD folder by folder, rename the artist and album field, and then right click the folder, and have WMC retrieve metadata for the CD. If there were a way to write a script to do this for me, then I could probably save myself quite a bit of time. I might also try overwrite media information in that tutorial you linked me to, and see if that helps. Thanks

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:53 pm

You might consider trying MusicBrainz Picard? While there is a leaning curve, with the proper options set, it will take a bunch of music files & sort them into a WMC-friendly naming/folder structure (Artist > Album(s) > tracks), with appropriate embedded tags. Most easily used when adding new content, but once mastered, it can make the WMC music library experience much more consistent & enjoyable (IMO).