Interlaced picture on one channel

vbtraveler

HTPC Specs: Show details

Interlaced picture on one channel

Post by vbtraveler » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:53 pm

I have an issue with picture quality on Fios channel 592 (Tennis channel HD), using Ceton 4-tuner PCI.

The picture is severely interlaced at about 30Hz if I had to guess. The effect when looked closely resembles the second shot here:

All other channels look fine.

This thing started after I switched the system around to using EPG123. At the time WMC was tuned to this channel, and in the process of setting up this new guide I had to reboot to Safe Mode. I think WMC came up while I was in Safe Mode with low screen resolution, tuned on channel 592, and I think somehow this low interlaced resolution got stuck for this channel. Not sure if it makes any sense...

I did rediscover tuner several times to no avail.

Any suggestions/hints?

Thanks!

Space

Post by Space » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:04 am

Are you saying when you tune to channel 592 that you are getting the SD version of the channel (which is channel 92)?

If so, you can try doing this:
Go to "Settings->TV->Guide->Edit Channels->(select channel 592)->Edit Sources" in WMC.

Use the up/down arrow to highlight each tuner/source for this channel. Normally you should see your 4 tuners and when you higlight each one it will tell you "Channel: 592".

In some cases, it may display more than 4 tuners and also include other channels. In your case it is possible that it also lists some tuners that are set to tune to channel 92 instead of 592.

If you remove the check mark from the tuners that say "Channel: 92", it should no longer tune to channel 92 when you try to tune to 592.

Make sure you save your changes afterwards.

I am not sure why this sometimes happens (I have some channels that have 12 tuners with all different channels, when I only have 3 tuners (it duplicates the same three tuners with different channels for each)), but as long as you only have the tuners/channels checked that you want to use, it works fine.

vbtraveler

Post by vbtraveler » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:45 pm

Space,

Thank you for your reply. In short, your suggestion worked, but I don't know why :-)

I was not seeing SD for that channel, it was heavily interlaced shimmering HD picture. Of course I triple-checked "zoom" in WMC, TV mode, etc.

When I went to choose tuners for the channel, it showed correct tuners (4 of them) and correct channels - all 592 HD, and I also noticed it had something to the effect of 100% quality. So I just poked around on that screen and saved, and voila! Everything is good now.

I think for whatever reason WMC did not get 100% quality for that channel when it was opened in low resolution, and it got stuck there.

Again thanks for pointing me there!

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:25 pm

I dont think that number, 100%, means anything in the U.S. I have never seen that number be anything other than 100%. You could go to a channel with no signal and that number would still be 100%.

If the problem re-occurs, you should bring up WMC's diagnostic screen by pressing 411info on a remote or 411CntrlD on a keyboard. Then Right Arrow over to the very last screen where it shows the video and audio specs. Then see if it says anything other than the proper HD resolution.

Press the Play button to exit the screen.

vbtraveler

Post by vbtraveler » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:00 pm

dmagerl,

Thank you for the pointer to the diagnostic screen - I was not aware of it.