Alienware Alpha-the right HTPC balance of form and function

joelkirzner

HTPC Specs: Show details

Alienware Alpha-the right HTPC balance of form and function

Post by joelkirzner » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:46 pm

I wanted to share my HTPC system experience over the years...

I've been using WMC with Windows 7 for well over a decade. I've always purchased cheap laptops (<$300) and have them hooked to TVs with Ceton tuners.

Recently, Best Buy had a $75-80 laptop trade-in (now expired), so I decided to go another route with the HTPC setup.

One problem I've always had with using laptops, especially cheap ones, is that the integrated graphics on many can not handle anything beyond 1080p streaming.
Youtube 1080p 50FPS? Nope, all my laptops choke. 2k or 4k? Fougedaboudit.

Another annoyance is that the laptop essentially always has 2 screens which cause application windows to juggle around after turning off and on the TV.
Even with the laptop screen closed and disabled, I was never able to resolve this HDMI 2nd monitor issue.

Soooo, I recently discovered the Alienware Alpha systems from Dell. I know these have been out for a number of years, but I do think they have the right mix of small form factor, quietness, and improved graphics performance, with a dedicated Nvidia card.

The best part is that you can get used ones on ebay for $200-$300.

I set one up this week with the base model ASM100-1580 Console Intel Core i3-4130T 4GB DDR3.
Super easy to open the case and have at it.
I upgraded the RAM to 8GB, popped in a 250GB Samsung EVO SSD, and formatted it with a fresh Windows 7 install.
The Windows 7 install went smoothly, primarily because this machine has both USB 2 and USB 3 ports. I once tried installing Windows 7 on a new Intel NUC with only USB 3 ports and it didn't end well.

The Windows Experience Index is over 7 and the system runs very well.
I have no issue with streaming 4k, nor do I have issues with the dreaded Comcast H.264 migration on premium channels.
I really like how compact and sleek looking it is. The customizable LED lights on the front are a nice touch as well.

Anyone else have a similar setup? Thoughts?

Cyterio

Post by Cyterio » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:13 pm

I am also using the Alpha as my dedicated htpc. It is super quiet, fast, and reliable. It is a nice small form factor, the only drawback is that I have to use an external hdd for all of my media. It's not a deal breaker, just an extra price of hardware to tuck behind the PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpamHammer

Post by SpamHammer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi joelkirzner,

Are you using the alpha as a server or extender? Im currently looking for a solution to watch my HBO recordings on the projector in my living room. Right now I have the server in a different room on a smaller tv with an xbox 360 attached to the projector. Works fine for all the channels except the pay channels. Id still like a solution able to watch all the recordings on my server instead of having to change rooms when its game of thrones night....

dbailey75

Post by dbailey75 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:29 pm

I picked up similar hardware over the summer, sold under the steam machine from gamestop for $225, open box, I only have USB 2 port, two on back and 2 on the front. first one I received suffered from the yellow light of death on the 3rd or 4th day, google it as an alien ware owner you are bound to see the problem, returned it for a second unit, which looks to have been repaired by dell after seeing all the service stickers on the box, and yeah, pulled out the steam drive, installed an SSD, and I've been sailing for almost 2 months, great form factor, silent. I'm still using the 4gb's since i'm only running 32GB windows.

Question, as I'm still paranoid i'll get the yellow light of death again, but on waking the PC, the little Alien briefly blinks yellow, before resuming from sleep and turning all blue. Does anyone else see the yellow briefly? Also, is there a way to turn off all the leds? guess I could unplug them, but they are a little bright. I have both the alien lit up and the steam logo on the left front side of the PC.

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:38 am

dbailey75 wrote:Also, is there a way to turn off all the leds? guess I could unplug them, but they are a little bright. I have both the alien lit up and the steam logo on the left front side of the PC.
Yes, install the alienware command center app. Download it from Dell under the alienware support for the alpha.

Set the color to black or whatever you like on the color wheel for each of the lights.
See attached.
Attachments
20170817_213455.jpg

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:18 am

SpamHammer wrote:Hi joelkirzner,

Are you using the alpha as a server or extender? Im currently looking for a solution to watch my HBO recordings on the projector in my living room. Right now I have the server in a different room on a smaller tv with an xbox 360 attached to the projector. Works fine for all the channels except the pay channels. Id still like a solution able to watch all the recordings on my server instead of having to change rooms when its game of thrones night....
I'm using the alpha as my main standalone HTPC connected to a 55" LG OLED. It's all connected on the network, and my other PCs share recordings. Nothing fancy.
I only have Starz as a premium through Comcast and it displays just fine.
HBO would work fine too.

dbailey75

Post by dbailey75 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:02 pm

joelkirzner wrote:
dbailey75 wrote:Also, is there a way to turn off all the leds? guess I could unplug them, but they are a little bright. I have both the alien lit up and the steam logo on the left front side of the PC.
Yes, install the alienware command center app. Download it from Dell under the alienware support for the alpha.

Set the color to black or whatever you like on the color wheel for each of the lights.
See attached.
thanks I'll look into that tonight. :)