NIC drivers for WHS 2011

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

NIC drivers for WHS 2011

Post by jachin99 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:58 pm

I'm trying to throw WHS 2011 onto my machine but the installation won't finish without throwing an error for nic drivers. I have already googled but I'm not seeing any links that have the standalone drivers that I can use. The motherboard I believe is an intel with the on board realtek nic. Would anyone happen to have drivers I can throw onto this machine?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Can you disable the NIC in the BIOS, install the OS then possibly copy the NIC driver from the board Mfg. website on a flash drive, transfer that to the new installation, install it, reboot, then re-enable the NIC in BIOS?
Possible workaround? Any Idea what Intel Board Model it is? Is the NIC built into the board or a removable PCI / PCIe card?
newfiend~

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:43 pm

I might be able to do that but it would take a long time to get into my machine's bios because for whatever reason pressing f2 or any other button at startup doesn't get into the bios settings. I have to cause an error or an OS crash or just disconnect my HDD to get the system into bios. This has been a thing with this machine for a while now, and I don't know why. The NIC is on board

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:11 pm

If I'm not mistaken, some of these driver install packages should include raw drivers somewhere in their downloads. How do I know which file is the driver itself? What would the file extension be?

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:19 pm

That's what I did and it worked.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:20 am

sorry , I didn't mean to abandon you on this thread.. I just get busy at work/life and poke in here now and again to see what's new. I am glad that you were able to workaround the issue.

Windows has "some" drivers built into the OS.. to enable full functionality it often times requires the drivers from the Mobo's website.

Sometimes Windows can be a PITA.. and you have to find creative ways to work around the issues. I am glad that you were able to get it up and running.

newfiend~

jec6613

Post by jec6613 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:09 am

newfiend wrote: Windows has "some" drivers built into the OS.. to enable full functionality it often times requires the drivers from the Mobo's website.

Sometimes Windows can be a PITA.. and you have to find creative ways to work around the issues. I am glad that you were able to get it up and running.

newfiend~
To add in future - the drivers in question are Server 2008 R2 drivers, AKA Windows 7. Ideally, running on real server hardware alleviates this issue, as the manufacturer gives you an entire DVD ISO with a full driver pack that you can install during setup. :)

dbailey75

Post by dbailey75 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:10 pm

jachin99 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, some of these driver install packages should include raw drivers somewhere in their downloads. How do I know which file is the driver itself? What would the file extension be?
this is a really late response, during the install you will be prompted to enter the NIC driver, I always keep a USB drive handy when do I any OS install, **locate all the MB drivers before you begin the install**, Install the USB drive, may take a few seconds for the system to see it, navigate through the folders, often the drivers will be divided into sub folders, 32bit/64bit folders, navigate to 64bit folder, and the server should be smart enough to select the proper file from the folder. I have an ASUS board with modified Intel driver, I usually have to download the latest drive, do the mod, before the OS installation. Just make sure if the drivers are in a zip, extract them before loading on the USB drive.