Live TV and streaming quality degradation

joelkirzner

HTPC Specs: Show details

Live TV and streaming quality degradation

Post by joelkirzner » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:23 am

I've had this problem for years and I've never been able to resolve it.

Whenever I'm watching or recording live TV through my WMC and Ceton tuner and I start streaming Netflix, YouTube or the like, the TV quality degrades terribly. The TV is basically unwatchable.

I suspect it has something to do with the bandwidth or priority on the network. I just purchased a TP Link switch that has the Ceton tuner attached to it and I gave it a high priority through the management software. I'm still experiencing this picture quality problem.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and what steps did you take to resolve it?

Thanks

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:29 am

Where are you watching Netflix? On the WMC PC or some place else? TP Link is a crappy brand. Buy a better switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-SG200-08-8 ... sco+switch
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:55 pm

I'm watching Netflix on the same PC that WMC is recording live TV.
I've also had this problem with other computers on the network that are streaming Netflix and then my WMC computer that is recording TV gets messed up.

I'm not sure why this is happening since I can record 4 shows simultaneously on my WMC with no issues.

It all breaks down the second I start streaming from YouTube, Netflix, etc.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:29 pm

Does your PC have the latest network card driver installed?

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:35 am

Scallica wrote:Does your PC have the latest network card driver installed?
Yes, I have the latest drivers.

I have not been able to resolve this issue. I just don't understand because my main HTPC has 4 tuners assigned and I can record 4 shows at once and they're all fine.
The moment I start streaming, the TV turns to garbage.

Help!

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:57 am

Just throwing ideas out there - Have you tried getting a second Ethernet card? Maybe that would help with bandwidth issues. If that didn't help I'd then get a second router and segment the tuner to one router connected to one NIC, then have the second connection for internet on the other NIC.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Have you tried the simple stuff like changing the Ethernet cable and changing the switch port? Seems silly, but worth trying (remember Occam's Razor!). I would strongly suggest trying a different switch. Borrow one from someone if you don't want to spend the money.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:34 pm

Scallica wrote:Have you tried the simple stuff like changing the Ethernet cable and changing the switch port? Seems silly, but worth trying (remember Occam's Razor!). I would strongly suggest trying a different switch. Borrow one from someone if you don't want to spend the money.
Thrift stores are also a good source of cheap switches and routers.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:49 pm

dkrom wrote:Just throwing ideas out there - Have you tried getting a second Ethernet card? Maybe that would help with bandwidth issues. If that didn't help I'd then get a second router and segment the tuner to one router connected to one NIC, then have the second connection for internet on the other NIC.
I don't think I was clear with the first suggestion - after getting the second Ethernet card, plug a second cable from the switch into your computer. It sounds like you're comfortable changing settings in your switch, you could then try to do some traffic shaping for each connection.

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:16 am

joelkirzner wrote:I've had this problem for years and I've never been able to resolve it.

Whenever I'm watching or recording live TV through my WMC and Ceton tuner and I start streaming Netflix, YouTube or the like, the TV quality degrades terribly. The TV is basically unwatchable.

I suspect it has something to do with the bandwidth or priority on the network. I just purchased a TP Link switch that has the Ceton tuner attached to it and I gave it a high priority through the management software. I'm still experiencing this picture quality problem.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and what steps did you take to resolve it?

Thanks
Have you tried going to a site like speedtest.net on that PC and making sure the download bandwidth can support streaming video?

There is a method to pull up diagnostics while streaming a Netflix video by pressing control+alt+shift+D while streaming a video.

The stat called "throughput" should give let you know the bandwidth that the video is streaming at.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:39 am

joelkirzner wrote:
I'm watching Netflix on the same PC that WMC is recording live TV.

I've also had this problem with other computers on the network that are streaming Netflix and then my WMC computer that is recording TV gets messed up.
Sounds like 2 different problems....the wmc pc might need an upgrade....maybe the ram

Your network might need some help....how many wifi devices? what do they connect to? Wifi resends will slow your network to a crawl.

I had trouble with Netflix too. Slowed down the whole network. I could barely check my email. I had to ban Netflix.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:21 am

I just looked up your new ASM100-1580 Console Intel Core i3-4130T 4GB DDR3

Looks like it is WiFi only. You need to match the WiFi to the asm100.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC3100/

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:56 am

Crash2009 wrote:I just looked up your new ASM100-1580 Console Intel Core i3-4130T 4GB DDR3

Looks like it is WiFi only. You need to match the WiFi to the asm100.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC3100/
Huh? My ASM100 is an alienware alpha pc with ethernet and wifi.
I don't use wifi with any of my media centers, only ethernet.

I am getting over 120Mbps down from comcast, so it's NOT my internet speed!!!
I think the problem may lie with my Comcast Arris modem/router. The thing basically sucks IMO.
I'll replace it when I switch over to Verizon FIOS soon.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:24 am

Oh, the pictures of the ASM I looked at didnt show an eth port. Regardless, that one has a dual AC very fast wifi adapter. I thought you might be using it.

Speaking of WiFi, if someone in your house is streaming something over wifi...AND...they are too far from the WAP, this can cause resends, that can saturate or hog all your internal bandwidth. Run a session in Wireshark, nothing fancy, default settings, during the moments you experience problems. Wireshark allows you to see inside the wire and determine exactly what is causing problems.

As you all ready suspect, using a cable company router is a bad idea. If you decide to get your own, check that link I gave you.

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:05 am

Crash2009 wrote:Oh, the pictures of the ASM I looked at didnt show an eth port. Regardless, that one has a dual AC very fast wifi adapter. I thought you might be using it.

Speaking of WiFi, if someone in your house is streaming something over wifi...AND...they are too far from the WAP, this can cause resends, that can saturate or hog all your internal bandwidth. Run a session in Wireshark, nothing fancy, default settings, during the moments you experience problems. Wireshark allows you to see inside the wire and determine exactly what is causing problems.

As you all ready suspect, using a cable company router is a bad idea. If you decide to get your own, check that link I gave you.
Thanks for the tip! I'll let you know how things go with a new router.