New Audio Issues WMC & OTA Files

JWA

HTPC Specs: Show details

New Audio Issues WMC & OTA Files

Post by JWA » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:33 am

Greetings all----have an annoying problem that I need a bit of help solving......

When recording an OTA broadcast via SiliconeDust HomeRun tuner on my daily PC (Win7 Pro) video plays perfectly but audio sounds more like static. This doesn't happen with any other video or audio file regardless which player is used. With the WMC I'm limited to that as a player as its not easily read by any other player.

Interestingly enough Live TV viewing on this PC is perfect----just the OTA broadcast recorded files are affected.

I believe if I play these files on another rarely used PC (Win8.1 with WMC added from MS) they'll play fine. Possibly I have a codec's issue but how can I determine what might be causing this?

BTW I could post a screen recording to YouTube and link it here if that's useful?

TIA----you guys never fail to help me here! :)

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:48 pm

What happens if you play the recording using VLC media player?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

JWA

Post by JWA » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:15 pm

Scallica wrote:What happens if you play the recording using VLC media player?
That's a good question but I don't know---its not (yet) on my PC it would seem.

Is there a recommended safe site to download it? Anything I should be before loading it in and setting it up?

BTW I do OTA ONLY----nothing cable TV related at all.

TIA

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:55 am

JWA wrote:
Scallica wrote:What happens if you play the recording using VLC media player?
That's a good question but I don't know---its not (yet) on my PC it would seem.

Is there a recommended safe site to download it? Anything I should be before loading it in and setting it up?

BTW I do OTA ONLY----nothing cable TV related at all.
VLC has been the go-to player for handling all sorts of video files for a long time -

http://www.videolan.org/

The standard video libraries used by many open-source projects like VLC have included support for .wtv files for a few years now. I've also found that I can now edit WTV files using an editor called "Shotcut" - handy when I want to grab a short clip or a funny scene, or convert something to another format. (I've even managed to do that from the command line with FFMPEG on a few occasions, but a visual editor works better for all but the most trivial of clips).

JWA

Post by JWA » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:32 am

foxwood wrote: VLC has been the go-to player for handling all sorts of video files for a long time -

http://www.videolan.org/

The standard video libraries used by many open-source projects like VLC have included support for .wtv files for a few years now. I've also found that I can now edit WTV files using an editor called "Shotcut" - handy when I want to grab a short clip or a funny scene, or convert something to another format. (I've even managed to do that from the command line with FFMPEG on a few occasions, but a visual editor works better for all but the most trivial of clips).
Thanks for this link Foxwood----very much appreciated. It seems to be working just fine for the short time I've had it, the files in question opened and played perfectly.

For visual or video editing as you describe and specifically for WTV files I purchased VideoReDo's TV Suite 5; for the most part it works just fine. I do have two other programs with features I need or want but they don't recognize WTV files. When I was manually recording a lot of OTA programs some had to be trimmed to remove portions of proceeding sporting events that had run past their scheduled finish times. VRD 5 is perfect for that still.

Thanks again----we can mark this issue solved! :)