HDMI audio weirdness

TechLifeWeb

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDMI audio weirdness

Post by TechLifeWeb » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:48 am

For various reasons I had to rebuild my Win 7 HTPC. The system is hooked up via HDMI thru my receiver. So, PC --> Receiver --> TV
The weird this is I don't get audio over HDMI. HDMI is the default device, etc. I thought it might be the HDMI in port on my receiver so I unplugged my Roku because I knew for sure that port was working and then plugged in the PC to that port and still no audio. So, no windows sounds via my receivers speakers.

For the heck of it I decided to start configuring Media Center. I ran the speaker configuration and test and I get sound!! I finish set up and play a song via Media Center and no sound is emitted. Test again using the setup sequence and I get sound. So strange.

It seems like the system volume is really low or something and that is causing it to seem like there is no sound. But if I click the speaker icon in the tray, all sliders are at the top.

Any ideas?
Twitter: @TechLifeWeb

Space

Post by Space » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:59 pm

The only thing I can think of is to right-click on the speaker icon in the system tray, select "Playback Devices", and then select the HDMI audio device and make it the "Default" device (if not already).

TechLifeWeb

Post by TechLifeWeb » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:06 pm

Space wrote:The only thing I can think of is to right-click on the speaker icon in the system tray, select "Playback Devices", and then select the HDMI audio device and make it the "Default" device (if not already).
It is already. I think if it wasn't then I wouldn't be getting sound in Media Center.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:58 pm

I suggest you do a Google search for something like "wmc hdmi no sound". I found several possible solutions, but too many to post links here since I don't know what you particular issue might be.

TechLifeWeb

Post by TechLifeWeb » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:04 pm

OMG I figured it out. Had to set the sound output for higher quality.
Control Panel --> Sound
Click on your device in the list and select properties. On the advanced tab and set the output to DVD or Studio quality then click ok

Thanks all.

FlatStanley

Post by FlatStanley » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:30 pm

That worked for me too. Sound worked on the desktop, but not for WMC. Audio was set to DV, I changed it to Studio and away it went.
Control Panel --> Sound
Click on your device in the list and select properties. On the advanced tab and set the output to Studio quality then click ok.