W7MC series recording behavior

sparkinstx

HTPC Specs: Show details

W7MC series recording behavior

Post by sparkinstx » Wed May 31, 2017 12:25 am

I've been recording a series ("Kolchak - The Night Stalker" on MeTV), and when I recorded Episode 1 back in January, the file was corrupt (I saved it). Anyway, I thought would just catch it the next time it came around, which was the night before last (05/28). The thing is, it didn't record. When I looked in the series settings, it was set to new and reruns. But when I scanned through the guide, next week's showing (Episode 2, on 06/04)) wasn't set to record, either. I deleted the series and re-added it, with the same settings.

Is this the expected behavior for W7MC? It's frustrating that the one episode I couldn't get the first time around, I missed the second time, so know I have to wait another 20 weeks, and hope it runs again (otherwise, I'm screwed). it looks like I'll have to babysit the thing when it gets close to rolling over again, so I can record Episode 1 manually (if I even get the chance).

Space

Post by Space » Wed May 31, 2017 2:37 am

Yes, that is the way it works.

For each of your Series, WMC keeps track of which episodes it has recorded. The purpose of this is so that the Series will never record the same episode twice. This is true regardless of the "New" or "New & Rerun" setting of the Series.

If you delete the Series, then you also delete this "recorded episode history". You can then re-create the Series for the same show and it will then have an empty list of recorded episodes, so it will start recording every episode again.

One thing you can do is set up a "Wish List or Keyword" recording for the episode you want to record, like this:

Example:
+add recording -> Wish List or Keyword -> Generic Keyword -> "kolchak: the night stalker" "the ripper" -> Save -> (mod any settings you want) - > Record

So essentially you are setting up a keyword search that will record any show that has those keywords (or in this case key-phrases).

Putting double quotes around the words makes those words have to be found exactly as they appear in the quotes. You separate multiple keywords or phrases by a space. All keywords/phrases must be found in the listing for the episode in order for it to match. You can not tell WMC to look in the title for one thing and in the subtitle for another thing (it would be nice if you could). It is just a global search within all the data it has for the episode (there can even be some data associated with an episode that is not displayed by WMC, and you can sometimes match that as well causing confusion).

Warning: This should work in your case without issues, but remember that WMC is looking for the key-phrases in the entire listing (the title, subtitle, description, etc) and may find those key-phrases/words in more shows than you expect. If the show name is something more generic like "Friends" or "Alone", and the episode title is just as generic, then it could match many shows and be pretty much useless to just record the one episode you are looking for (as I indicated, for your show, that should not be a problem).

sparkinstx

Post by sparkinstx » Wed May 31, 2017 3:59 am

Space, thanks for that. I had already canceled the series and then re-added it, so the episode may get picked up, assuming that MeTV goes through a third run of the series. I did do the keyword recording, too.

The thing is, I can't see the keyword recording listing I created (I guess because it's not in the guide listings). How can I see it, or cancel it?

Space

Post by Space » Wed May 31, 2017 2:54 pm

It should be listed as one of your Series (sorted at the top if it starts with a double quote). When you are viewing your scheduled recordings, select the "Series" option on the left to display all your Series.