Windows 7 sleep, and coma

Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 7 sleep, and coma

Post by Ken H » Fri May 19, 2017 5:38 pm

Two issues, not sure if they are related.

1) My Windows 7 PC will not go to sleep. When you use either the WMC sleep button or from the main Windows menu, it acts like it's going to sleep but as soon as the power light starts to flash it restarts all by itself.

2) I use an AV receiver with HDMI input from the WMC PC. When I turn the AV receiver and the HDTV off, at some point the PC goes into a coma - the power is still on but no video, no audio, and the PC will not respond to any command except to restart if I hold the power button down until the power light goes off.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri May 19, 2017 7:33 pm

Have you done the powercfg check for something wanting the system to stay awake?

i.e. run powercfg -requests from a cmd window running with admin privileges.

I have also seen this behavior with badly behaving cards in my PCIE slots. Notably, I had to try several
different Hauppauge 2250 tuner cards to find ones that would work properly in my HTPCs.

To check if it's that, remove any such cards and see if it sleeps properly.

The second problem sounds like possible handshake problems between tha Reciever and the PC, you could try
something like one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-VSE ... 7KNV2Y2BSD

Space

Post by Space » Fri May 19, 2017 10:02 pm

1. This can be caused by a device on your system waking it up, often a USB connected device. "powercfg -requests" can sometimes pinpoint the problem, as indicated by stuartm.
    See here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... o-to-sleep
  2. This may be caused by the graphics driver you are using, try the latest driver, and if that doesn't work, maybe try older drivers.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Fri May 19, 2017 10:23 pm

If it goes to sleep and then immediately wakes up, powercfg -lastwake will tell you what woke it up.

Wireless keyboards & mice very often cause this problem.

Space

Post by Space » Sat May 20, 2017 2:18 am

Oops, yes, it is the lastwake option that can tell you what made the PC wake up, not requests. It's been a while since I messed with this...

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 pm

It's been a long time for me too. Both -requests and -lastwake are needed to troubleshoot.

My wake issues have always revolved around srvnet not letting it go to sleep. It works for a long long time and then it keeps coming back to haunt me.

Space

Post by Space » Sat May 20, 2017 5:03 pm

The -requests option tells you which processes have requested that the system NOT go to sleep. So if you try to put the system to sleep while it is being told to not go to sleep, it should just ignore your request (or put the system in to "away mode" instead of sleep mode).

It sounds like the OP is not having this problem, in that the system appears to go to sleep but then just wakes up again right away. But I may be mistaken in that analysis.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Mon May 22, 2017 6:12 am

1) I removed all USB devices and the PC still refuses to go to sleep.

2) The graphics card, an nVidia GT 730, is running the most current driver. I believe the problem is when the AV receiver is off the graphics card knows there is no audio device connected and WMC locks up.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Mon May 22, 2017 6:16 am

Space wrote:
It sounds like the OP is not having this problem, in that the system appears to go to sleep but then just wakes up again right away. But I may be mistaken in that analysis.
No, you are correct. The video stops, and it takes a few seconds for the power light to go off, then immediately comes back on, the video comes up, and the unit is back on.

Space

Post by Space » Mon May 22, 2017 6:19 am

After it wakes up open a cmd window and run "powercfg -lastwake". What does it say?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:57 am

Ken H wrote:2) The graphics card, an nVidia GT 730, is running the most current driver. I believe the problem is when the AV receiver is off the graphics card knows there is no audio device connected and WMC locks up.
How many outputs on the GT 730 ? Are you using HDMI to amp and HDMI to monitor If so, you might want to get a powered HDMI splitter....One HDMI out of the GT to the splitter, then one HDMI to the monitor and the 2nd HDMI to the amp.

Have you seen any HDCP or Display Driver errors on the monitor?

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Wed May 31, 2017 5:59 pm

Space wrote:After it wakes up open a cmd window and run "powercfg -lastwake". What does it say?
It says:

Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 0

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Wed May 31, 2017 6:06 pm

Crash2009 wrote:How many outputs on the GT 730 ? Are you using HDMI to amp and HDMI to monitor If so, you might want to get a powered HDMI splitter....One HDMI out of the GT to the splitter, then one HDMI to the monitor and the 2nd HDMI to the amp.

Have you seen any HDCP or Display Driver errors on the monitor?
I use just the HDMI output from the GT 730; it goes from the GT 730 into a Yamaha RX-A660 AV Receiver, then into a Samsung UN46C6300 HDTV. I have never got any HDMI or driver errors from any of the devices. The receiver is brand new.

Using an HDMI splitter would defeat the purpose of using the receiver to switch audio and video from the different sources I have in the system, although I do have an HDMI splitter and I will try it at some point to see what happens.

Thanks to everyone for the contributions here.

Space

Post by Space » Wed May 31, 2017 9:32 pm

Ken H wrote:
Space wrote:After it wakes up open a cmd window and run "powercfg -lastwake". What does it say?
It says:

Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 0
It is not listing what waked the computer with that command.

You can find more troubleshooting info here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/122954/how-to ... identally/

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:57 pm

Thx, I'll take a look and report back.

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:34 pm

I had similar issues....first time was the Intel Graphics driver which was unsleeping and black screen freezing my PC, also failure to be able to shutdown...second round turned out to be my Asus motherboard Windows fan control settings...apparently, this communications between windows and the MB was popping my PC out of sleep almost immediately.

Paul

suttonb1

Post by suttonb1 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:42 pm

I bet it's an issue with your NIC configuration.

-open Properties for your network card
-click Advanced
-scroll to bottom of the Property list
-Disable "Wake on Link"
-May also need to disable "Wake on Pattern Match"
-click OK to save

Try to Sleep and see if it works!

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:59 am

suttonb1 wrote:I bet it's an issue with your NIC configuration.

-open Properties for your network card
-click Advanced
-scroll to bottom of the Property list
-Disable "Wake on Link"
-May also need to disable "Wake on Pattern Match"
-click OK to save

Try to Sleep and see if it works!
Sorry not have got back sooner. Yes it was the network card. Give that man an El Producto! :clap:

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:48 pm

stuartm wrote:
I have also seen this behavior with badly behaving cards in my PCIE slots. Notably, I had to try several
different Hauppauge 2250 tuner cards to find ones that would work properly in my HTPCs.
Glad to see the OP resolved his problem..

Funny story that was shocked on. I needed a LPT port for a display on my WMC case. SO I went on ebay and found some knock off card and got it all working. About 8 months later with a push from the wife to "save power", I tried playing with sleep, and just like others, it would go to sleep and just wake up. powecfg would not give me any usable information. I went crazy with it, device by device removing one by one and testing. I found it to be that LPT PCIe card.

With a White box that said PCIe LPT card only, no manufacture, I thought I would be spending more money. There was no model or anything on this card. so I grabbed the name off a main chipset on the board, found the company who made the chipset, took a picture of the card and emailed them asking for help. With in 1 hour, I got a response (I was in mega shock), take a razor, cut 2 connections on the card they sent a pic on what to do. I did as they said...

Sleep worked fine from there in... Never thought that would happen on a knock off card...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012