So, who's Survivor had issues?

STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

So, who's Survivor had issues?

Post by STC » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:26 am

Luckily I was watching with my wife an hour time-shifted, and I saw it was running a half hour late.
I managed to kick in a manual recording.

[edit] They split the show into two hours recorded and one hour live. It really messed up my series recording. MC didn't know what to do when I tried extending the recording to finish 60 minutes after. It hiccuped a bit. My only resolve was to add a manual recording.

Interestingly both shows for me were shown in multichannel stereo instead of DD. The sound was terrible almost mono sounding...
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:01 am

I dunno. I figured it would run late, so yesterday I just set up a manual recording to go from 10pm EST for 2.5 hours. And I left the series recording alone.

Coming from the ReplayTV world, I'm shocked that 7MC knew not only that the two hour show was part of the series, but also that the Reunion immediately following was also part of the series.

They've *always* done a two hour finale plus a one hour reunion immediately following. Did that catch you by surprise?

STC

Post by STC » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:05 am

No, but the fact it was running a half hour late / I was watching 1 hour late and trying to add 60 minutes to the end as it was recording seemed to throw it off. I got weird partial recordings and my four tuners were going crazy. This coupled with my wifes God-knows-how-many-bits-o-crap (tm) recordings going on.

-It was all hands on deck I can assure you.

Danno100

Post by Danno100 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:54 am

We watched it live, but WMC recorded 2 shows, the first being 2 hours and the second being 1 hour. The first 1/2 hour was 60 minutes. We missed the last 30 minutes of the after show in the recording. We seem to have a great OTA HD recording as usual with normal sound.
Home Theater/Automation Enthusiast

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:39 pm

We usually schedule to record the show after survivor, since 60 minutes is NEVER 60 minutes, and most of the time it is 90 minutes long.

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:50 pm

I don't think it has to do with 60 minutes- it usually doesn't run long- but whatever sports are on before 60 minutes usually do run long. Haven't watched the Amazing Race recently, but when i did, I would ALWAYS record the next hour of tv too, just in case.

PS. Stonethecrows: thanks for the title, Mr. Let's set up a profanity filter :P
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

STC

Post by STC » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:30 pm

Ah 'tits-up'. It's a very British saying that really doesn't belong in the 'bad' classification list. At least certainly not if you are British.
You'll find on any filter 'tits-up' won't be there by default! :P

Now if I don't use the hyphen and say tits up, then there you have it :D

STC

Post by STC » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:22 am

Just for clarification on the original problem, I shall try and explain further;

I didn't click at the time but there were a couple of other shows recording. Three tuners were in use. A new show was about to record. Max tuners shortly to be in use.
One hour through live recording of the first two hour slot, I attempted to add 60 minutes to the season recording settings. I assumed this would take care of the extra half hour I required to finish the show.

Doing this was a bad move, as it added an hour to both slots. Now I need five tuners if MC was to continue recording the other shows.
At this point MC began to do strange things and grab multiple partial recordings of all shows. I was unsure how it was trying to allocate precedence and it appeared to get itself into a bind.

Quite weird but I know now what not to do in the future for such a show.