dvd.id xml files crashing WMC?

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

dvd.id xml files crashing WMC?

Post by jachin99 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:14 am

I've been chasing this problem for a while, and I've been slowly putting some time into it here, and there when I get a chance. Each time I add my movies library to WMC, the movies tab crashes as soon as I try to open it. So to troubleshoot, I removed my movie library, and came to the conclusion through googling, and trial and error that MCEPG.DB was causing WMC to crash, even after removing all movies from my WMC library. To fix the problem, I deleted the database, and added just one movie folder to WMC. After selecting the movies tile, WMC acted normal for a few seconds, and then crashed.

My next thought was to start deleting the various metadata files contained in said movie folder, and I have the problem narrowed down to the dvd.id xml file. When I take this one file out of my test movie folder, WMC no longer crashes, and plays the movie just fine. WMC doesn't seem to care if the movie is in .mkv format or wtv format or anything else for that matter. I have a few different programs that might create that particular file but I am thinking it is Ceton's my media center. Additional programs installed on the machine include Emby for WMC, Media Center Control, and Recorded TV HD. I don't have the movie files included in Recorded TV HD because I had problems getting the program to include all of my movies. Has anyone else experienced problems with WMC crashing because of dvd.id files, or is this something new?

Thanks

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:17 am

Looking inside of the xml file, it has a YAMM ID on it, and that's about it. I can't remember if YAMM installs with Recorded TV HD though. Would anyone else know about that?

Space

Post by Space » Tue May 16, 2017 3:13 pm

I believe the ID in the file is a hash of the data on the DVD/BluRay disc. WMC uses this to lookup info about the video on an external database.

I recently saw a post here about WMC crashing when trying to access an external site on the Internet, but the router was blocking the machine from doing so. Perhaps you have your router configured to block external access from this machine? Just a shot in the dark...

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:53 pm

I have no idea what the problem was but deleting all the dvd.id files fixed it. What makes things even more strange is that because I lost all of my cover art when i did this, I re-enabled the metadata features in ceton's MMC, it recreated all of the files I deleted, and it works just fine. I have my cover art back but no crashes.