Record not working

someperson

HTPC Specs: Show details

Record not working

Post by someperson » Sat May 13, 2017 11:20 pm

This is a weird one: on our main HTPC, trying to set up programs to record in the guide does nothing at all; they won't even schedule! My guide data is from EPG123, in case that makes a difference. Rebooting has not helped. What should I do?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:13 am

What happens when you record manually? While watching a show, press record on the remote.

Space

Post by Space » Sun May 14, 2017 5:56 am

Is it happening on all channels or only one or a few of them?

I had something similar happen with a single channel (all other channels worked fine). If I viewed the channel LIVE it was fine, but if I tried to record from it the red dot would not appear and it would not record or appear in the "view scheduled" list.

This may not be related to your problem (and you probably need to describe your problem with more detail to get more responses if it is not, like what you checked and what happens in different situation, such as doing a single-dot record vs. a Series record, etc).

Anyway, my problem was that there were, for some unknown reason, no tuners assigned to the channel (even though viewing LIVE worked fine). The channel itself was enabled, but none of the source tuners had been enabled.

I went to "Settings->TV->Guide->Edit Channels->(select channel)->Edit Sources" and saw that none of the tuners for that channel had a check mark next to them. After checking all the tuners and saving, the recordings I had tried to make earlier all showed up in the "view scheduled" list. I think as a quick way to enable all tuners for a channel, you can disable the channel, save, and then re-enable the channel and save.

If this is your problem, and you have many channels in this state, I think you can use external tools such a GuideTool to disable/enable the channels in bulk instead of the tedious process of doing them one by one in WMC, but I am not sure since I've never used these tools.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun May 14, 2017 6:25 am

GuideTool saves a lot of time. Click-Shift-Click-Spacebar can do a 1000 or more at a time. Plus, you can backup your channel edits and duplicate your edit on other WMC's in minutes. Those are about the only 2 features I use.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 74#p117174

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:44 am

It'd be nice it the OP would report back the results.

someperson

Post by someperson » Sun May 21, 2017 2:30 am

Space wrote:Anyway, my problem was that there were, for some unknown reason, no tuners assigned to the channel (even though viewing LIVE worked fine). The channel itself was enabled, but none of the source tuners had been enabled.

I went to "Settings->TV->Guide->Edit Channels->(select channel)->Edit Sources" and saw that none of the tuners for that channel had a check mark next to them. After checking all the tuners and saving, the recordings I had tried to make earlier all showed up in the "view scheduled" list. I think as a quick way to enable all tuners for a channel, you can disable the channel, save, and then re-enable the channel and save.

If this is your problem, and you have many channels in this state, I think you can use external tools such a GuideTool to disable/enable the channels in bulk instead of the tedious process of doing them one by one in WMC, but I am not sure since I've never used these tools.
Thank you very much! This did indeed turn out to be my problem. Unfortunately, I was not able to figure out how to fix it in GuideTool, so I had to do it one-by-one, but at least it worked.

Space

Post by Space » Sun May 21, 2017 2:52 am

Great! I'm actually surprised that it was this issue as I've never seen anyone else complain about it.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:10 am

someperson wrote:Thank you very much! This did indeed turn out to be my problem. Unfortunately, I was not able to figure out how to fix it in GuideTool, so I had to do it one-by-one, but at least it worked.
I am unsure how to do that in GuideTool also. I would speculate we would use Merge. Here are the Merge Options. Anyone have any suggestions?
Attachments
NoRecord001.JPG

Space

Post by Space » Mon May 22, 2017 4:46 am

Does anyone know where to download GuideTool?

I found an older version, but it looks like the current version is 1.4?

This site gives an error:
http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool/

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:49 am

Space wrote:Does anyone know where to download GuideTool?

I found an older version, but it looks like the current version is 1.4?

This site gives an error:
http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool/
I've been using the old one since forever. I should have grabbed 1.4 when I had the chance.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 177#p99177

Space

Post by Space » Mon May 22, 2017 5:05 am

I don't know if there even was a version 1.4. The only reason I think there might be is the archived version of the old web page. There is a news item there about 1.4, but I don't know what it was about (the link doesn't work).

https://web.archive.org/web/20161024113 ... guidetool/

I assume the old one (rar file) you linked to is 1.2.5 (the same one available on that archived page)?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:12 am

Fred says there is a 1.4

Read down the page a bit...post 93

My upload is V125

The one you linked to might be even older. I didnt have to install a plugin in WMC with v125

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue May 23, 2017 1:46 am

For the OP, this has happened every once in awhile with epg123 and I've never been able to pin it down. It has to deal with the automatch and I thought I had fixed that with the v1.1.x family ... I completely rewrote that code.

Just FYI: the epg123Client GUI can do the same as Crash2009 described for GuideTool. The automatch in the GUI should do it as well.

There most certainly was a v1.4 GuideTool, but I think the only difference between it and v1.2.5 was the ability to see all lineups in the database. For those trying to do the same thing as epg123 and import custom lineups, there is a field that can not be populated by the mxf file. EPG123 sets it programatically since I noticed GuideTool would not list it and found what was needed. Basically, v1.4 wasn't needed for epg123 but others may need it.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io