How to reset WMC for new Comcast channel lineup?

Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to reset WMC for new Comcast channel lineup?

Post by Ken H » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:51 am

For over seven years now in a number of their service areas, Comcast has duplicated all of it's HD channels on two different channel numbers. It's a simple remapping of one channel to two channel locations. The idea was to eventually transition to a uniform number location and to group channels by type, for all channels across their many local systems. I first reported this on AVS Forum in 2010. For a variety of reasons, the transition has been delayed repeatedly. Now, Comcast has decided to proceed but has reshuffled the channel locations. For example, the previous system had entertainment channels between 1200-1399, and sports from 1600-1799; the new lineup has sports between 1200-1399, and entertainment 1400-1499, etc.

I have a number of Windows 7 PC's that use HDHomeRuns with Comcast supplied CableCards. My guides are all configured for the previous channel locations. I tried resetting up Digital Cable and got the same results as were previously there.

Any suggestions on how to make WMC 'see' the new channel locations?

Thanks.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:22 am

I think I just got nailed with the same thing.

I have tried....

HDHR channel discovery

WMC tuner setup

Neither has repaired channels properly.

Next step is to call the CableCard help desk and ask for refresh.

It's a good thing, I have a STB..... at least I know where the channels are. It appears I am missing the 1080 HD's.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:54 pm

As I've had a chance to think about it, two things come to mind.

One is that I could change all my channels to different numbers using WMC 'Edit Channels' function. Worse case this is what I might have to do.

The other is that in the past there was a resource to email updated channel info to, like when new channels were added, and although it took a few days the updates were applied. I'm going to try this and see what happens, but I have to find the email first.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:07 pm

Ken H wrote:
The other is that in the past there was a resource to email updated channel info to, like when new channels were added, and although it took a few days the updates were applied. I'm going to try this and see what happens, but I have to find the email first.
The email is feedback@zap2it.com, but they are not involved anymore with MS/WMC, are they?

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:53 pm

Rovi/Tivo now supplies guide data if you use the Microsoft supplied data. If you switched to EPG123 then Schedules Direct supplies the data. There has been posted elsewhere in this forum contact info for Rovi. In either case, your guide data provider will need to supply you with updated lineup(s) for the new channel layout.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:43 am

stuartm wrote:Rovi/Tivo now supplies guide data if you use the Microsoft supplied data. If you switched to EPG123 then Schedules Direct supplies the data. There has been posted elsewhere in this forum contact info for Rovi. In either case, your guide data provider will need to supply you with updated lineup(s) for the new channel layout.
I'm on whatever is standard for WMC, which is why I was asking.
There has been posted elsewhere in this forum contact info for Rovi.
You don't happen to know where that might be, do you?

Space

Post by Space » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:17 am

The problem is that there is no official way to do it other than contact Microsoft, which usually gets you nowhere.

You can try contacting TiVo (they bought Rovi):

lineup@tivo.com (Lineup issues)
metadatasupport@tivo.com (Metadata issues)

Let us know if you get a response and if they are able to help you.

Space

Post by Space » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:17 am

I also have other contact info, but this was from before TiVo took over:

According to Rovi's Twitter, report missing channels here: http://www.rovicorp.com/company/contact.html
ipgcustomersupport@rovicorp.com
1-800-725-1233

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:46 pm

I sent all three email addresses a brief message. I'll reply back with any results.

Thanks.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:30 am

Ken H wrote:I sent all three email addresses a brief message. I'll reply back with any results.

Thanks.
Don't hold your breath...

Call the CableCARD Hotline. 877-405-2298 Maybe you will be lucky enough to get Wallace.

Wallace just fixed mine by resending the codes.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Wed May 10, 2017 3:54 am

Crash2009 wrote:
Ken H wrote:I sent all three email addresses a brief message. I'll reply back with any results.

Thanks.
Don't hold your breath...

Call the CableCARD Hotline. 877-405-2298 Maybe you will be lucky enough to get Wallace.

Wallace just fixed mine by resending the codes.
Not so much with me. The person I spoke with sits right next to Wallace, and asked what he did, and did the same for my account. It had zero effect. As it turns out, it's not a Comcast issue. See my next post.
Last edited by Ken H on Wed May 10, 2017 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Wed May 10, 2017 4:08 am

So, I received three replies to my emails.

The one from TiVo Support wants my TiVo account number, so that's a non-starter.

One from TMS-LAFeedBack@gracenote.com asked for examples, which I sent last week and have not received a reply as yet.

The one from TiVo Meta Data Support has been the most cooperative, but still has not effected a solution. They were aware of the change and said the fix would take place last week and as of Monday it did not happen. I let them know and they asked me for examples which I sent today. We shall see.

As a test I tried an Ann Arbor zip, 48103, and voila, the guide loaded the new channel lineup. It's close but not exactly the same as my area in Canton. So now I wait. Worse case I'll use the Ann Arbor zip but I'm waiting to see if they get it right before doing all the customization.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:48 am

Trying 48103 was a good idea. In the past we have used the neighboring zip until the actual zip fixes itself.

Try all the zips immediately adjacent to Canton. Might be more accurate than 48103.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Mon May 15, 2017 2:12 am

Here the reply from TiVo Metadata:

Hi Ken,

I was able to confirm that these channels are present in the data that we provide to Microsoft. They are listed correctly and have not been updated since 3/30/2017.

Comcast lineup associated to zip code 48188 in our data is "Comcast Canton Standard Cable - Canton, MI (Digital)" (Headend ID 341764951 (24413)). In this lineup, we have all channels (Detroit Local Included) listed correctly per confirmation from the provider. In addition, I also confirmed that each network listed below has programming information available for 2 weeks.

Sadly, we have no control over WMC or any way in which to troubleshoot technical issues with WMC.

Thank you,

Miranda
TiVo Metadata Support

Sure enough, the next day the new lineup appeared. Whew.

dgarbern

Post by dgarbern » Fri May 26, 2017 2:20 am

Ken H wrote:Here the reply from TiVo Metadata:

Hi Ken,

I was able to confirm that these channels are present in the data that we provide to Microsoft. They are listed correctly and have not been updated since 3/30/2017.

Comcast lineup associated to zip code 48188 in our data is "Comcast Canton Standard Cable - Canton, MI (Digital)" (Headend ID 341764951 (24413)). In this lineup, we have all channels (Detroit Local Included) listed correctly per confirmation from the provider. In addition, I also confirmed that each network listed below has programming information available for 2 weeks.

Sadly, we have no control over WMC or any way in which to troubleshoot technical issues with WMC.

Thank you,

Miranda
TiVo Metadata Support

Sure enough, the next day the new lineup appeared. Whew.
I live in the 19454 area and noticed over a week ago that the Comcast lineup had shuffled. HDHomeRun Setup program generates the correct lineup, but the WMC guide is still showing the old channel lineup. KenH - is there a direct email address for Miranda at Tivo Metadata?

Dave

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Fri May 26, 2017 4:56 pm

dgarbern wrote:I live in the 19454 area and noticed over a week ago that the Comcast lineup had shuffled. HDHomeRun Setup program generates the correct lineup, but the WMC guide is still showing the old channel lineup. KenH - is there a direct email address for Miranda at Tivo Metadata?

Dave
Yes, it's the one posted by Space above - metadatasupport@tivo.com

dgarbern

Post by dgarbern » Sun May 28, 2017 2:58 am

Out of the blue, the guide for the 19454 viewing area (Comcast Montgomery County PA) is in sync now with Comcast's new channel lineup. Yesterday, I notified Tivo Metadata of the issue but did not receive a human reply. Coincidence? Who knows, but at least I can go back to my regularly scheduled programming...for now.

ZippyTheChicken

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Mon May 29, 2017 3:22 pm

I got this the other night.. My guide did an update and I went in to look for something to record and I saw all of the new channels that are duplicates. So now I have I guess 3 duplicates of everything. I don't know exactly what they are doing but it caused me a night of going through and removing a ton of channels that I don't have a subscription to or don't want or that are copyonce.

so I didn't have to do anything to get the channels but I did have to edit my channels to remove some.. i left the duplicates because I don't know if they will be making other changes .. I just set my recordings to HD Preferred and its been working so far.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:47 am

I don't know if this thing I tried had anything to do with fixing mine but.....I called Comcast and ordered all the channels....then I used GuideTool to select all the channels....Then I cancelled all the channels and used GuideTool to edit the channels I kept.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:56 pm

Crash2009 wrote:I don't know if this thing I tried had anything to do with fixing mine but.....I called Comcast and ordered all the channels....then I used GuideTool to select all the channels....Then I cancelled all the channels and used GuideTool to edit the channels I kept.
I seriously doubt it.

I'm 99.9 sure the metadata must be updated after Comcast makes the channel location changes. And as I now remember, it's always been that way previously when channels were added or removed.