Duplicate Recording ?

Mike88

HTPC Specs: Show details

Duplicate Recording ?

Post by Mike88 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:01 am

WMC has been working pretty well & not recording programs that I've already recorded & have not watched & are still on the PC. This is regarding an older OTA TV series. But during the next week it's scheduled to record a couple episodes I still have.

Obviously I can choose not to record these episodes, but what happens if I let the system record them? There may be a time when I don't catch this happening & the duplicate will proceed.

Will I end up with two recordings with the same name? Or will the new one overwrite the old one? Or is best to not record the duplicate (if possible) & avoid any conflict?

Space

Post by Space » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:26 am

You will end up with multiple recordings of the same episode. You can tell WMC to not record them ahead of time to avoid having duplicates.
There is no harm in recording the same episode twice other than that it uses up disk space and monopolizes one of the tuners while it is recording (so other shows can not record on that tuner at that time).

There are a few reasons why WMC might record an episode it has already recorded even though it is not supposed to; from a bug in how WMC imports data, to mistakes made with the data itself (by Rovi/TiVo the regular data provider).

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:33 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll delete the scheduled duplicates as they show up.

SciFiGeek

Post by SciFiGeek » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:16 am

I am unfamiliar with the bug but you might get better results with EPG123 to replace your guide.
Personally, Epg123 has helped a lot with dealing with multiple lineups of cable and OTA programming.

Or you can keep it simple and not record the handful of episodes.

It may be worth double checking that the series in question is setup to only record new episodes. Often this flag is set true inappropriately. And then there is an issue with Media Center not knowing how to deal with a foreign previously aired episode that is airing for the first time in the US (or your locality). EPG123 can help with that too.

Caveat of EPG123 is it requires a subscription for to guide information (third party). Worth every penny if you watch shows previously airing in other countries (often SYFY and BBC America).