WMC 7 recording incomplete - not matching history

yo_vinay

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC 7 recording incomplete - not matching history

Post by yo_vinay » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:15 pm

Long time WMC user and tgb browser. But I am stumped on this one...

Setup is W7x64 (fresh load) C2D@3.16GHz, 4GB Ram, SSD for Boot and 4TB for Storage, 2 HDHR tuners (1 HDHR4-2US and an older HDHR), HTPC, router, switch and tuners on UPSs.

WMC records a show, the listing shows correctly in Recorded TV, history shows the show completed with the correct start and stop time. But when you play the show you can see it is only 8 min (or 21 or 36, etc) not the hour+ shown by the Program Details/Synopsis/History. I have checked the actual .wtv file and the size is consistent with the 8 min - maybe 800MB - not the 5-8GB I would expect. Mostly happens on local NBC affiliate and one show in particular.

I have: - prioritized the newer tuners to this channel, but it made no difference.
- checked the Windows logs for events related to power, network, etc but found nothing unusual

Below is an example - shows recorded for ~91 min, but recording is ~16 min:
mad-money2017-04-07-short.jpg
mad-money2017-04-07-15;51.jpg
Any advice appreciated..

Space

Post by Space » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:43 pm

When you the view the recording, what do you see? Is it the first 16 minutes of the recording, the last 16 minutes, it skips around and shows short clips of different segments of the full recording, or something else?

If you look at the HDHR when it is recording, does it look like it is tuned in the whole time, or only for the time that is recorded?

If WMC detects problems with the signal it is recording, it will tell you and try to record that episode/movie again at a later date, however I have seen some instances where WMC does not detect that the signal is flaky. If upon playback, the recording seems to be skipping segments, than this may be the case here.

yo_vinay

Post by yo_vinay » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Space wrote:When you the view the recording, what do you see? Is it the first 16 minutes of the recording, the last 16 minutes, it skips around and shows short clips of different segments of the full recording, or something else?
The first 16 minutes.
Space wrote:If you look at the HDHR when it is recording, does it look like it is tuned in the whole time, or only for the time that is recorded?

I am not awake to look at the HDHR for the most problematic show (3:00AM). It is sporadic for other shows (1 in 20 ?).
Space wrote:If WMC detects problems with the signal it is recording, it will tell you and try to record that episode/movie again at a later date, however I have seen some instances where WMC does not detect that the signal is flaky. If upon playback, the recording seems to be skipping segments, than this may be the case here.
WMC is not detecting a problem. See the images, WMC shows the recording completed as scheduled.

Space

Post by Space » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:37 pm

It appears that WMC thinks it is recording the whole show, but the recording is terminating early. I'm afraid I don't really know what could be causing it. I could suggest a bunch of things, but that would just be grasping at straws.

I think you need to get a better handle on what is happening. One thing is to know if WMC is still tuned to the channel when it thinks it is recording, but is not. Maybe turn on debugging on the HDHR and work with Silicon Dust.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:30 pm

I remember having something like that, but can't remember what was caused it. I do know that I had to create a task to synchronize my time every hour because my computer time would go out of sync and cause start/stop problems. Check to make sure your computer time is the same as an official time website.

yo_vinay

Post by yo_vinay » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:14 am

Space wrote: Maybe turn on debugging on the HDHR and work with Silicon Dust.
I enabled diagnostic info and opened a ticket with SD. No response after 5 days.
dkrom wrote:Check to make sure your computer time is the same as an official time website.
I have time sync running every day.