Export / Transfer WMC7 Music Playlist

HoraceEsq

HTPC Specs: Show details

Export / Transfer WMC7 Music Playlist

Post by HoraceEsq » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:51 pm

I would like to export or copy over a WMC7 (Not Media Player) music playlist from a Win7 PC to another Win7 PC. Both of them will have same file structure for location of MP3's on each. Can this be done? If not, is there a freeware program that will export just this and nothing else? Thank you.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:18 pm

I could be wrong but would guess they are the same file. If it's like other programs I have uses in the past it will have a .apl file extension. Search your drive for .apl and you should find it

Space

Post by Space » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:53 pm

Not sure why I am responding because I never use playlists.

But from what I can find the playlists used by WMC are the same as used by Windows Media Player.

The file types are .wpl or .asx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 89661.aspx

I am not sure where these files would be located in the filesystem, but I would assume if you file structure is the same on your new system, you could just copy the playlist file over and it should work (I believe the contents of these files are just text, so you can edit them if you wish).

HoraceEsq

Post by HoraceEsq » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:07 pm

That was easy enough. In WMC, when you create a playlist it creates a folder named "Playlists," within your different "Artists" folders. So, you just need to copy that folder

D:/Music/ACDC, Bangles,.....Playlists, ....ZZTop, etc.