Sudden lagginess in WMC Video interaction

JonDeutsch

HTPC Specs: Show details

Sudden lagginess in WMC Video interaction

Post by JonDeutsch » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi.

I've had the same hardware & software running for years, and suddenly, since the past few weeks, the time it takes to take action and play back videos in the Video library has gone from instant to 10+ seconds for every interaction. Worse, I often have to hit select/play several times before WMC will even acknowledge the request... and then I still need to wait 10+ seconds before the video starts playing.

Same with RW/FF within the video... very laggy!

Any ideas or experience with this kind of performance issue? I have no problem with performance with RecordedTV.

It's worth noting that the videos are hosted on a NAS via a wired network connection, but I've seen no other LAN-based performance issues (including playing back movies via the NAS via MyMovies...

Thx.
Jon

JonDeutsch

Post by JonDeutsch » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:06 am

It may be more than videos... the screen saver now takes much longer to launch (and exit out of) too. When I go to task manager/resource monitor, I see no stress on CPU or RAM. It's almost like suddenly WMC got corrupted?
JonDeutsch wrote:Hi.

I've had the same hardware & software running for years, and suddenly, since the past few weeks, the time it takes to take action and play back videos in the Video library has gone from instant to 10+ seconds for every interaction. Worse, I often have to hit select/play several times before WMC will even acknowledge the request... and then I still need to wait 10+ seconds before the video starts playing.

Same with RW/FF within the video... very laggy!

Any ideas or experience with this kind of performance issue? I have no problem with performance with RecordedTV.

It's worth noting that the videos are hosted on a NAS via a wired network connection, but I've seen no other LAN-based performance issues (including playing back movies via the NAS via MyMovies...

Thx.
Jon

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:03 am

Just a guess...Maybe MyMovies and WMC are fighting for control. Is there any setting you can turn off in my movies as a test? Maybe temporarily remove the library.

Did MyMovies recently update itself?

Worked for 4 years, something must have changed without your knowledge.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:08 pm

Using Task Manager, whats your CPU utilization and what task is using it?

vaju0503

Post by vaju0503 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Is your screensaver using images stored on your NAS as well? If so you might want to check the health of your NAS... Try to copy one of the recordings directly to your PC and try to play it back from there, if it plays it instantly it's likely a NAS or networking issue. You could also try to power cycle your router to clear up the local cache on it, depending on the age of your router you may just want to replace it with some of the newer ones. The old ones aren't as good as handling a lot of traffic consistently. I try to power cycle my stuff about once a month or so (the mediacenter PC i have a task setup weekly to restart it, run updates, and other maintenance) to keep everything running smoothly. Might be your NAS is getting fragmented as well, does your NAS have any utilities for defrag or anything?

I've always thought there was issues with recording directly to a NAS, that's why I just leave all my shows on my Media Center and have the shows directory mapped on all my PC's so I can still watch anything anywhere in the house...

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:39 am

@vaju

I like that suggestion^^^copy one of the recordings directly to your PC

vaju0503

Post by vaju0503 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:07 am

I see I may have misread some of the post I assume your recorded tv is recorded directly on your machine... you have no issues... but you have issues with videos on your NAS this leads me even more to believe something is up with your network and or NAS... a 4 year old NAS is pretty old for that type of storage device