Best Windows 7 (or 10) Blu-Ray Player... Opinions?

Kusaywa

HTPC Specs: Show details

Best Windows 7 (or 10) Blu-Ray Player... Opinions?

Post by Kusaywa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Just started using my PC as a home theater. I know WMC is dead but I wish I had discovered it years ago!
Anyway, I've been testing a lot of Blu-Ray Players out there and I was wondering what others were using?
They don't have to have WMC integration!!!
Also, not bloated with a Media Center, just a player with FULL functions.
I've used VLC, PotPlayer and a few others but they don't offer Menu support.

The 2 I like so far are TMT & Leawoo.
TMT is old but still works with AnyDVD. You can use it as just a player and has WMC remote capabilities.
Leawoo is good but lacking in controls and doesn't open in full screen.

So basically, I'm looking for a simple player that will autoplay Blu-Rays in a full screen, access menus and have good controls.

What does everyone else use?

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:30 pm

I use PowerDVD but after version 15 there isn't any integration with Windows Media Center. The three I know of are PowerDVD, TMT, and this from Corel.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd776338.aspx

Kusaywa

Post by Kusaywa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:35 pm

Integration in WMC isn't a priority. I did use PowerDVD 12 and wasn't crazy about it.
I guess I'm really just looking for a "player" without all the bloat!
Something that will just open (quickly) full screen, go to Blu-Ray menu, just like a stand alone Blu-Ray/DVD player.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:58 pm

I feel about the same way but, I have been able to turn off quite a few features of powerdvd, and get it to load a little quicker. I haven't heard any real feedback about the corel player, but I know TMT is no longer supported. http://www.windvdpro.com/en/support/updates/

Kusaywa

Post by Kusaywa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:55 pm

I really like Leawoo. It's free! But besides that, it plays, it's simple but it's a little buggy.
You can set it to autoplay a Blu-Ray (or DVD) but it opens in a window. You then have to click full screen.
As I say, the controls are buggy. No WMC remote support and you pretty much lose mouse support, you navigate with the keyboard.
Just hoping they continue to improve on it. But being free they might not put much effort into it unless it's to attract buyers to their other software.
No integration with WMC but that's OK...

STC

Post by STC » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Nowadays you're much less prone to issues if you use a standalone player.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:43 pm

When I ran JRiver, I launched cyberdvd as a separate application, and used eventghost to control it with my MCE remote. In your case, you might be able to use eventghost to remap your mce remote keys to emulated keystrokes.

Kusaywa

Post by Kusaywa » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:18 pm

I settled on PowerDVD 15. TMT took too long to load... Compared to PowerDVD 15.
The reason I went with PowerDVD 15, is if you set it to Cinema Mode, when inserting a Blu-Ray disc it goes right to fullscreen with a brief flash of the PowerDVD logo.
The Menu plays which is nice and the WMC remote works with it.
Unfortunately, I'm still using AnyDVD because my PC is hooked up to my TV via VGA. This gives me a warning that it needs to be hooked up with HDMI.
I plan on investing in a card with HDMI so hopefully soon, that problem will be solved.
AnyDVD tends to slow down startup because it removes the copywrite (or whatever it's called).