Comcast dropping channel

pdean

HTPC Specs: Show details

Comcast dropping channel

Post by pdean » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 pm

I have TV service through Comcast and they recently dropped a local channel I like. My media center uses HD Homerun Prime HDHR3-CC with a cable card from Comcast. I was wondering if I might be able to get some type of antenna to get this channel but can the HD Homerun and and antenna be used together with Media Center or what might be my options. I mainly liked the channel for local and state news and those shows are not broadcast online. I live near a state border and the channel was dropped for another NBC channel in the neighboring state.

webminster

Post by webminster » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:37 pm

Not with the Prime, it's cable only. You could get a HDHomeRun Extend or Connect, or similar, and connect an antenna. Configure WMC to use that for any channels you want to get OTA.
-Alan

pdean

Post by pdean » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:53 am

So It is possibly to have both cable channels and antenna channels together in media center. Do they simply show together in the guide for example. I can easily have both forms of tuners on my network and have media center recognize both of them with no problems. I guess I would then need some form of antenna to use this feature.

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:14 pm

Yes. After configuring the new tuner and doing WMC Live TV setup, it will merge those new OTA channels into the Guide. You see the new subchannels, like for instance a 7.1 channel in addition to any others. Yes, you'll need an appropriate antenna for your location and distance from stations, and UHF or VHF capability depending on the stations. See something like antennaweb.org for hints.
-Alan

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:34 pm

This is one of the major things that is great with WMC, that you cant do on other devices. Combine Cable, OTA, Sat and what ever sources you want in a single guide.

Just add the new tv tuner and Run TV setup, it will see the new tuners and ask how you want to configure them.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012