Fixing the sports plugin

DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:18 pm

Crash2009 wrote:I think we need a little shot of Graznok. He always seems to find the ON switch in the Hex.

Open Microsoft.MediaCenter.Sports.DLL with the Hex Editor.
Bring him on ! Hex editor wont do much for people who cant read hex.... In my eyes he's a god as he fixed a problem I had with WMC from RELEASE (that volume popup )

If he would do the same for 8.1, I might move to 8.1.... (really want to use AHCI boot and win7 stinks at it)

It's going to need more than a "turn on" as the data source will need to be changed/edited...

The Scores menu, used to show the type of sport (NFL, MLB, etc) as far as a few months ago, now it opens and just says "Searching..."

It's going to need a LOT of work to get going again, makes me wonder if it should be rebuilt as a new app in the same layout...should not be that hard for someone who knows data sources and MCML formatting... SHOULDN'T
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:13 pm

If this works right, here ate the contents of my sports folder

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvAoSdNdORVlgr5kg_OMtiFO2O9usQ

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:17 am

jachin99 wrote:If this works right, here ate the contents of my sports folder

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvAoSdNdORVlgr5kg_OMtiFO2O9usQ
Thanks but, if you saw above, I got it working on one... as for my VM with Windows 7 7600... if I replace the factory theme, it crashes... if I restore back, it still crashes... Only way I could of gotten WMC to work again was by running a

sigh, I guess it was too old...

I tried vista and no sports strip showed up....

but, here's the deal, there is no MCML files, so I have no idea on how this will work...

Edit: I got it working on another Windows 7 machine (VM) no TV setup so I am sure that is why the "ON NOW" tile does not show up.

Is this as far as you get or does it go any deeper ? (same results on 4 machines now)
Attachments
WMC version.JPG
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:41 am

That's all I get also. I'm poking around some of the sports files to see what I can find right now.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:05 am

Whats this???

ScoresFeed>
<FeedId>mlb_scores</FeedId>
<Transform>mlb_scores_transform.xsl</Transform>
<Latency>10</Latency>
<Url><![CDATA[http://feeds.foxsports.com/scores/MLB.X ... kXXKjOHH3H]]></Url>
</ScoresFeed>
<PlayersFeed>
<FeedId>mlb_players</FeedId>
<Transform>PlayerTransform.xsl</Transform>
<Latency>3600</Latency>
<Url><![CDATA[http://feeds.foxsports.com/livexml/MLB/ ... kXXKjOHH3H]]></Url>
</PlayersFeed>
<NewsFeed>
<FeedId>mlb_player_news</FeedId>
<Transform>mlb_player_news.xsl</Transform>
<Latency>600</Latency>
</NewsFeed>
<InjuryFeed>
<FeedId>mlb_injuries</FeedId>
<Transform>mlb_player_injury.xsl</Transform>
<Latency>900</Latency>
</InjuryFeed>
<PlayerStatsFeed>
<FeedId>mlb_playerstats</FeedId>
<StatsType>Active</StatsType>
<Transform>mlb_activestats.xsl</Transform>
<Latency>120</Latency>
</PlayerStatsFeed>
<PlayerStatsFeed>
<FeedId>mlb_pstats_ytd</FeedId>
<StatsType>YearToDate</StatsType>
<Transform>mlb_ytd_stats.xsl</Transform>
<Latency>1800</Latency>
</PlayerStatsFeed>
<RealtimeAlerts>
<FeedId>mlb_realtimealerts</FeedId>
<Transform>mlb_alerts_transform.xsl</Transform>
<Latency>5</Latency>
</RealtimeAlerts>

I get this when I put one of those addresses into a browser but no big surprise there. Lets see if we can put in a different feed URl

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:24 am

Found a post that explains how to show/hide Sports Strip. Checked it out on my 10 box. My registry is missing Applications\Internal\{47ecf759-4ec8-4b10-ae36-d262fee6fa04} obviously Sports Strip is a plug-in that is not installed.

Hide Sports Menu
By mikinho - Posted on October 10th, 2008
Registry Key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Start Menu\Applications\Internal\{47ecf759-4ec8-4b10-ae36-d262fee6fa04}
Description:
This is for a per user setting, meaning you could diable the menu item for an extenderi, but leave it for the main Media Center. You can also use the same key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for a system wide change (all users and extenders).

This registry entry may not exist, you may need to create the registry key and the string value before you can use it.

"OnStartMenu"="False" - will hide the Sports Strip
"OnStartMenu"="True" - will show the Sports Strip (default)

When I checked out HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Start Menu\Applications, the 2 plug-ins that I DO have installed (Kodi and Netflix) are listed. Maybe I will have a look around the web for the SportsStrip plug-in.

http://www.mce-community.de/forum/index ... ia-center/
Attachments
SportsStrip001.jpg

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:34 am

I got the sports strip to show in Windows 10. Its a fresh WMC 10 install without live TV working because of the whole no tuners found issue. What I did was I created the packages folder in the ehome folder, and droped my 2 onedrive files into it.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:07 am

Cool, I guess that means the features are removed/hidden when we install a tuner.

I found some real-time xml feeds.

https://www.oddservice.com/real-time-sp ... -solutions

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:16 am

Crash2009 wrote:Cool, I guess that means the features are removed/hidden when we install a tuner.

I found some real-time xml feeds.

https://www.oddservice.com/real-time-sp ... -solutions
Just to be clear, the sports strip wasn't there without a tuner either. I just moved a few folders around. I have a lot weird posts on here because I've been using my phone. I might condense everything, and summarize it tommorow.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:35 pm

jachin99 wrote:Whats this???

ScoresFeed>
<FeedId>mlb_scores</FeedId>
<Transform>mlb_scores_transform.xsl</Transform>
<Latency>10</Latency>
<Url><![CDATA[http://feeds.foxsports.com/scores/MLB.X ... kXXKjOHH3H]]></Url>
</ScoresFeed>
<PlayersFeed>
<FeedId>mlb_players</FeedId>
<Transform>PlayerTransform.xsl</Transform>
<Latency>3600</Latency>
</PlayersFeed>
------< snip---------

I get this when I put one of those addresses into a browser but no big surprise there. Lets see if we can put in a different feed URl
WHere did you find this ? What file and where ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:49 pm

That was towards the top of FoxSports.sdp in I believe the sports template folder. If you scroll down two or three times, you will be close

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:06 pm

jachin99 wrote:That was towards the top of FoxSports.sdp in I believe the sports template folder. If you scroll down two or three times, you will be close
Ah... I think I Ran into that one..

As for reg files, it does not work across the board... Tried on my office machine and the Sports menu never showed :(
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:18 pm

So on some machines, dropping those files into the packages folder gets the sports strip to show up, and on others it doesn't? Are you noticing any difference between a Win 7 and 8 machine?
If replacing these links doesn't work, what would be the next thing to try?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:04 pm

jachin99 wrote:So on some machines, dropping those files into the packages folder gets the sports strip to show up, and on others it doesn't? Are you noticing any difference between a Win 7 and 8 machine?
If replacing these links doesn't work, what would be the next thing to try?
Dropped your files and it didn't work, need to play with it more but, I have it in 2 VMs working so, we are good for testing.... It's a random thing, As this machien I am on now (office machine on Windows 7 x64), it will not show up... I tried a few things and copied your files in...

Again, I gota play with it some more but, it's busy at work so, no time to play !
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:55 pm

Alright, just make sure everyone understands how this all got started, the sports strip on my Win 7 Pro WMC PC showed up one night while I was trying different themes using Media Center Studio Beta along with MCSFix. This machine receives regular updates, and has guide service through EPG123. I will try to add the strip with my Win 7 Home Premium WMC machine that has ROVI later but at a minimum, I have gotten the sports strip to appear on the ROVI guide machine as well.

In order to get my sports strip, I change the theme within MCS, save it and close it (Just in case this matters but it might not), then open MCS, and hit restore defaults. Only after I hit restore default do I notice the sports strip appears. I tried doing this on a Win 10 WMC machine however, MCS crashes before it opens, even with the MCS fix. To get back my sports strip in WMC 10, I created a new folder Packages folder under the ehome directory, and dropped the SportsSchedule and SportsScheduleV2 folders inside of it. On this machine, I have not yet setup live TV because of the problems others are having finding tuners however, this method gave me a sports strip inside of WMC 10 with the Scores, Players, Leagues boxes.

DavidinCT has also reported that he has gotten his sports strip appear using this drag and drop method as well. Even with the sports strip in place, most if its functionality still does not work. The only working tab within sports is the On Now box, which also has a working sports news Feed along the bottom. With that being said often when I first open the On Now tab, I get a message about the sports plugin being discontinued, and to get my sports news from MSNBC. Simply navigating around the On Now schedule and selecting a playing game makes this message disappear.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:57 pm

I'm wondering if the FoxSports.sdp was for a separate fox sports plugin that we all get in the extras gallery but won't install.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:13 pm

I found the FOX Sports plugin... and was able to install it (on Windows 10 WMC) and if you open it, It will go to "This page cannot be displayed" in WMC, that means it was just a front end for a website that is no longer there. There is a lot of dead apps that work like this.

There was a discussion on the OLD TGB about this...and funny, I replied to this too

http://web.archive.org/web/201012230124 ... 84951.aspx

I took this a little deeper, and found support for fox.com and the contact for FoxSports and sent them BOTH an email to see if they have any docs on this subject see if we can get it working again.

I am sure this is a dead end but, nothing ventured nothing gained... We wont really know till we try...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:49 pm

If you peek around the files for Sports, there are a few links from other providers. I've started to build a random application for media center just for the learning experience, but its going to take a long time for me to figure everything out, and I'm still thinking it would be easier to fix this one. Looking at some of the other files from different sports plugins, I only see three types, .Cab, .Mxf, .Enc and .dll files. The Dlls can be ran through a .net decompiler but I'm not sure how to open up the Mxf, and Cab files. I was able to peek inside the .cab files on a random old computer, and they contain .dlls From my understanding, the Mxf contains codec or wrapper information, and .enc can either be an encrypted file, or an encoding file.
Whatever direction this takes, finding feeds is going to be hard without paying for them. Yahoo has some but they're https, and I'm not sure if media center can handle secure connections.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:15 pm

jachin99 wrote:If you peek around the files for Sports, there are a few links from other providers. I've started to build a random application for media center just for the learning experience, but its going to take a long time for me to figure everything out, and I'm still thinking it would be easier to fix this one. Looking at some of the other files from different sports plugins, I only see three types, .Cab, .Mxf, .Enc and .dll files. The Dlls can be ran through a .net decompiler but I'm not sure how to open up the Mxf, and Cab files. I was able to peek inside the .cab files on a random old computer, and they contain .dlls From my understanding, the Mxf contains codec or wrapper information, and .enc can either be an encrypted file, or an encoding file.
Whatever direction this takes, finding feeds is going to be hard without paying for them. Yahoo has some but they're https, and I'm not sure if media center can handle secure connections.
Sad to say, I don't think fixing the 'sports strip" is going to be a cost effective option or EASY in anyway. The CAB files are like Zip files, programs like WinRAR will open them up. As for creating them, not sure.

I am sure WMC can deal with HTTPS but, cant say I have tried it. There is a lot of things needed to get this to work, I do think Microsoft would have to be involved as when they build programs, they put in a secure path to protect their content and even you see it in the header information. If you modify that file, it might not run any more, another possible dead end, even if you can get the data in the right format for WMC to read (another battle)

We really need to the help from a expert programmer here. By guessing we are both trying to reinvent the wheel and that is only going to get us so far with out fully understanding how this product was built and how it was programmed.

If you want to get a Sports score thing working in WMC, there is a lot of free (by looking around) programing books and even the WMC programming plugin is still available to download from MS. It might be easier to try to build your own with the same design layout...at least for the scores

All in all, I don't have a lot of hope with just the 2 of us trying to do this but, I don't know your full skill set so I cant be sure.

WMC can deal with a Web page as an app, the remote arrows are just like the up,down, left and right on your keyboard and the OK button is ENTER. So if you can find a website that looks fairly simple to navigate with the arrows on your keyboard, there is a ReLaunch app that can create a link in WMC.... it might be fairly easy to create a QUICK app that would fit the needs here..

Just like I got a YouTube app in WMC from the youtube.com/tv app...just like you get on your smart tv...with a WMC remote... It's an idea for a quick and dirty sports app that will give current data....just a thought..

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 36#p102283
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:54 pm

I think you might be right. At this point, I'm wondering if the one part that does work, I.E. the On now tab can be left in place, and the other features we want can be added on. I downloaded the WMC SDK, and all of microsoft's documentation on WMC development is still up. The SDK comes with a how to in order get a basic app going. Its programmed in C# if I am reading the Docs right, and on Microsoft Virtual academy, there is a basic course on developing in C#. I'm guessing those are the basic tools I need to get started.

If you were able to get at least the sports strip to show, have you tried hooking that machine up to the internet and a tuner to see if your On now, and On later tabs work?
What features should I or we add if we move forward with this?
I don't really know anyone that can help make this so if you do, or if anyone wants to chime in, then that would be helpful