Installing Windows 10 next to 7

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Installing Windows 10 next to 7

Post by jachin99 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:13 pm

A little background info first, I am trying to install WIn 10 because I like the overall OS more than WIn 7, and its a currently supported OS with new features being developed. With this in mind, I am trying to install win 10 on the same physical PC as win 7. In order to do this, I formatted a separate hard drive partition on WIN 7 HDD, and used the WIn10 Media creation tool to create my setup files. I then moved all of the files onto the new partition, and ran setup.exe. My problem is that when i run the setup file in the install media, I get a warning that I will lose WMC, which makes me wonder if the setup is going to choose where it gets installed no matter what I do. In addition to placing the files on a separate partition, I have also placed them on a newly created partition on a separate hard drive altogether, and I still get the same warning.

Can I ignore this warning, and somewhere later in the setup it will let me choose where to install the OS, or is there something I am missing? Thanks

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jachin99 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:33 pm

I figured it out, you have to boot from the install media instead of running the exe within windows 7.