"The video decoder is not working" after windows update

Wonkey

HTPC Specs: Show details

"The video decoder is not working" after windows update

Post by Wonkey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:38 pm

Quick note to those that might have this same problem. I started getting this error on March 3, 2017:

"The video decoder is not working, is not installed, or is not supported. Try installing the codec or restarting your computer. For more information about codecs, see Windows Help."

The error popped up when I attempted to view both live tv or recored .wtv shows.

I did the normal reboot and try again stuff, then started doing web searches. I didn't find any current posts talking about the problem, but a number of older ones. My computer has had no significant changes for a few years, so I knew it wasn't a conflicting codec pack that was recently installed. (multiple online posts made that the #1 thing to look for)

I ended up using the windows tool to go back to a previous restore point which solved the problem. Looks like there was a critical update released on March 2, 2017 that somehow broke my codecs.

I noticed the problem the next day again and had to again restore. I'm pretty sure that auto update reapplied the critical update and broke me again. I'll have to turn off auto update to get out of the bad cycle. Hope this post helps others that might hit the same problem to resolve it.

Wonkey

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Wonkey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:31 pm

Well, upon further review, the problem might not be related to a windows update.

As expected, the problem re-occurred. I thought it might if the update was re-installed. But, I didn't see an update being applied. (and no rollback was available) I spent some time backing up my settings and uninstall/reinstall both media center and media player hoping that would reinstall my codecs. That didn't fix the problem.

I started searching the web for answers and later found a post saying that the problem could be related to my audio settings. When I opened the control panel for audio settings, my TV was listed as an hdmi audio device twice. I'm not sure why. I don't think anything has changed for years in my physical setup. The 2 entries look identical to me. On a hunch, I switched to the other one (set it to be the new default) and the problem was resolved. No more codec errors.