Build Up of Temp Files on System Disk

Alan G

HTPC Specs: Show details

Build Up of Temp Files on System Disk

Post by Alan G » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:22 pm

I solved this problem on my own but want to know if its a WMC issue. A couple of programs did not record the other night and WMC gave me a notice that there was insufficient disk space which was not the case. I have a 120 GB SSD for the system and 500GB HDD for recorded shows. When I looked at the two drives, the system drive was almost completely full with only about 3GB free space. I puzzled over this and used WizTree to see what the problem might be. Turns out there was 45GB of files in the Windows\Temp directory. These files are not cleaned up by the MSFT cleaner tool and one either needs to install CCleaner or manually do it. I opted for the latter as the HTPC is just bare bones with just WMC and Firefox (Netflix and Amazon Prime) being used.

What puzzles me is what could be writing these files is it WMC or Firefox? Are they used as a buffer? The HTPC has been running for three years with no maintenance done to the system disk I didn't think it was necessary. I'm just curious whether others have observed this. If anyone has encountered problems with WMC, this might be something to look at.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:06 pm

Could Netflix or Amazon be the culprit?

Alan G

Post by Alan G » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:48 pm

I honestly don't know. When I looked at the date and time stamps of the files they were all over the place and I haven't been watching either all that much. It's just a mystery I guess; couldn't find anything through Google on this. However, now that I know what's going on, I can certainly check to see files are created after watching one or the other.

Alan G

Post by Alan G » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:38 pm

I just checked today and it looks like a Temp file is made each time a program is recorded. Kind of weird and I've not found any documentation on this at all. Didn't use Netflix or Amazon at all during this time so it's clearly WMC. I'll just have to keep manually cleaning up the file.