Display Driver Error - Protected Content

Parjai

HTPC Specs: Show details

Display Driver Error - Protected Content

Post by Parjai » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:35 pm

I just recently upgraded one of my monitors on my desktop, and ever since doing a swap around, I can't watch any live tv. I keep getting Display Driver Error, the video playback device does not support playback of protected content.

Prior to my upgrade, I had one monitor on VGA (via a DVI-VGA adapter), and a DVI monitor on a Asus GTX 970. I was using the VGA monitor for WMC (sits up on a dresser and just used for WMC in my bedroom\office). I've removed the DVI monitor, and put in a displayport monitor to replace it as my primary, non-WMC screen, and now get that error message.

Edit: While writing this up, I just discovered, if I minimize WMC briefly after trying to view certain channels, it starts working for most everything but premium channels (HBO, Starz, etc). Close out and reopen, and I have to do the minimize thing to get it working. I usually use it with a remote and kicked back on my bed or my couch, so I really don't want to have to get up constantly to minimize and restore the window if I can help it.

Space

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Space » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:11 am

Displayport is not HDCP compliant (at least on WMC), so you will have this problem. With live TV and non-protected channels, if you minimize and restore they will work, but there is no way to get protected channels working.

HDMI and DVI are both HDCP compliant.

You can search for Displayport on this forum to get more information. I think the best solution is to just use HDMI or DVI instead of Displayport, but I don't have Displayport and never dealt with it personally, so there may be other solutions...