Duplicate Recorded TV listings per each WTV file

LeonMc

HTPC Specs: Show details

Duplicate Recorded TV listings per each WTV file

Post by LeonMc » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi All,

Last week I imaged my C: drive to get more space. Then I migrated all my media files from 4 HDs down to one new 8TB HD. So now I have a C: and M: drive only. I don't use the C: for any media or TV recordings. But now when I go into the "TV Recordings" on my MCE, I see two listings for every WTV file that is on my new M: drive. The other media files (pictures, videos and music) are OK. The old HDs that used to have the TV recordings on them are physically removed from the PC.

If I go into the Recorder area and switch my active recording drive to C: and then remove M: from my TV Recording media list, I still see all the Recorded TV files(on M:), but now I only see one listing per WTV file, even though the M:\Recorded TV folder is not in the Recorded TV media list.

As soon as I switch the recorder back to the M: drive, all the listings duplicate again. When I delete any one Recorded TV listing, both listings then disappear.

Its like the MCE DB is confused and needs reindexing. Any ideas? This has been happening for about 3-4 days now since the HD migration.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Also, I did not migrate to EPG123, so that is not the issue.

--Leon
--Leon

LeonMc

Post by LeonMc » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Ok, found it. The problem was an artifact in the registry. The "WatchedFolders" key had a duplicate and a non-existent hard drive pointer in it.

I had to go to the "WatchedFolders" key in the following area of the registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Recording

I deleted everything except my media drive folder for Recorded TV, "M:\Recorded TV"

There was an old, no longer existent "E:\Recorded TV" I removed and a share that pointed back to the M: drive again. I suspect it was the share that caused everything on the TV RECORDINGS list to duplicate.

:D
--Leon

javajohnnv

Post by javajohnnv » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:01 pm

This was an old post but a good one.
I ran into the same problem last week when I did a disk image restore of the C drive, and the backup drive and the Recorded TV drive swapped letters. Not a concern until I saw duplicate entries for each recorded show. Cleaned the WatchedFolders key of everything that was not the real location and problem solved. Thanks!

byronomo

Post by byronomo » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:04 pm

Another thing that can cause symptoms that APPEAR to be duplicate files is the following scenario:

Recordings are moved to a NAS (Synology in my case) and accessed from client PC(s). When you delete a recorded program, it "re-appears" and you have to delete it again.

This is caused by having "Recycle Bin" enabled on the NAS. Synology sets up the recycle bin as a sub-folder under where you keep your recordings. Since Media Center is monitoring folders and their subfolders, it sees the contents of the recycle bin as recorded TV programs. This is an option that must be disabled within the NAS interface (rather than in Windows). It seems obvious now, but for the longest time I couldn't figure out why this was occurring.

Hopefully this helps someone who might be experiencing something similar.