Suddenly.. garbled audio in WMC

Sammy2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Suddenly.. garbled audio in WMC

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:29 pm

My HTPC has been running quite well for quite some time now using WMC on a 7x64Pro machine. Last week I noticed that the audio was garbled but was able to clear it up by re-starting WMC. Fortunately all was well yesterday or all hell would have broken loose.

This morning though, the garbled audio was back with a vengeance. A couple of WMC restarts didn't fix it and neither did a couple of reboots. The only thing I can think of is toggling on using re-clock in Emby Theater a bit ago but this issue wasn't instantaneous by any means. before the second of these reboots I did toggle re-clock to off in ET but to no avail.

I'm thinking of downloading Shark007 to see if I can get things going good again but before I do that, any suggestions?

My other option is to quit using the HTPC for WMC and put in one of my three spare Echos but those are earmarked for bonus room to replace the xBox 360 there, my wife's office area and the garage eventually.. I could use one for now, of course but would rather get the codec issue fixed on my HTPC.

I ran out of time this morning but I did uninstall NextPVR and TeamViewer just this morning as I don't use either of them. This issue started before the uninstall of each of these so I don't think it is related to that.

TIA

[Cross-posted to AVS Forum]

DanH

Post by DanH » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:03 am

I hope this helps as it happened to me a few years ago. I was getting garbled audio and narrowed it down to the audio card (recordings played fine through an extender). So I replaced the on-board audio with an add-in card. A few weeks later, the power supply died. After I replaced the power supply, the on-board audio worked fine again.

Evidently, sound problems may be a sign of a failing power supply. If you can, check the outputs from the power supply that they are providing correct voltage, etc... to the motherboard.
Was Danh_HP_m376n

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:21 pm

I got it fixed as explained here but I'll keep an ear on it. Quite possible I have an issue with the audio but I use a discrete GPU that supports all the lossless formats. Maybe it is the culprit?