WMC with a HDHomerun Prime and Extend

riker0314

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC with a HDHomerun Prime and Extend

Post by riker0314 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:22 pm

not sure if i should even post or not as the whole no guide thing might drive me away from wmc. But i am trying to use wmc 7 with a hdhomerun prime and a hdhomerun extend.. however wmc will only pick up the prime. the prime is a CC and the extend is a OTA Now by useing the hdhomerun view i can see and use both.. I know the extend is new and wonder if that is the problem. can i use a CC and a OTA tuners at the same time?? do i need Tuner salad? any idea what i am doing wrong.. like i said wmc will not even see the extend at all

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:30 pm

From the official Microsoft Windows 7 Media Center help pages: "Windows Media Center supports a maximum of two analog TV tuners and two digital TV tuners."

Yep, in Vista, the limit is 2 tuners of each type. In Windows 7, the limit is four tuners of each type.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Space

Post by Space » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:56 pm

Scallica wrote:From the official Microsoft Windows 7 Media Center help pages: "Windows Media Center supports a maximum of two analog TV tuners and two digital TV tuners.
I am pretty sure that's not correct. From what I remember, it supports 4 tuners of each "type". Meaning 4 CableCard tuners, 4 OTA tuners, etc.

So I don't think Tuner Salad should be required here.

Here is what I found, which was supposedly on the Microsoft website at some point (can't find it now):

Media Center supports a maximum of four analog TV tuners and four digital TV tuners per computer. (If your setup includes digital cable tuners, the maximum is four digital cable tuners.)

EDIT: Now that I read that statement more closely, I think it means you can have a max of 4 digital tuners (ATSC/OTA and digital cable are both digital). So in that case you would need Tuner Salad (or I have also heard that you can install Ceton drivers to get that functionality for free, but I have never tried it and don't know if it works or not).

EDIT 2: I believe the 2 tuner limit you mentioned was for Vista Media Center, Win7 media center increased that to 4.

EDIT 3: I found an archive of the old Microsoft page:
http://web.archive.org/web/201312030710 ... dia-center

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:31 am

WMC should be able to see and use both, it does for me.

I have a Prime with a cablecard able to use all 3 tuners, along with Connect OTA using both it's tuners. (With no Tuner Salad)

When you went through WMC set-up, did WMC see both your Prime and Extend? During set-up mine shows 3 CC tuners and 2 Antenna tuners recognized.

Once the channel scan is complete the OTA channel numbers will not match the Cablecard channel numbers. Eg; my CC CBS channel # is 201, and my OTA CBS channel # is 1000.1, but on another PC using SDHD app, the OTA channel number shows as 10.1.

In WMC you can combine those and chose which ever channel number you want to appear in the guide. I chose Ch. 201, since that is what I'm used to with my regular cable channels.

You can then go into edit that channel, and it will show 5 tuners available for that channel. Mine always list the 2 Antenna channels first then the 3 CC tuners. This is the priority tuner order WMC will use when you tune that channel. You can change the priority order if you want.

I leave the 2 Antenna tuners as first priority, so when I'm recording more than 2 shows, it will pick the Antenna tuners first and leave the CC tuners available for cable only channels.

My understanding of the WMC limit to 4 tuners per tuner type, these are different tpyes. So I could add another 2-tuner Connect and that would still work w/o Tuner Salad.

In WMC they are listed as 'Digital Antenna (ASTC)'and 'Digital Cable (CableCard).

riker0314

Post by riker0314 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:44 am

it dose not see the extend.. the ota tuners

i am relay thinking it has something to do with the extend and the trans-coding it dose

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:08 pm

riker0314 wrote:it dose not see the extend.. the ota tuners

i am relay thinking it has something to do with the extend and the trans-coding it dose
Have you tried re-running WMC set-up a few times.

I know in the past, when I've gone through the set-up and it gets to the point of showing what tuners were found, sometimes one of the units was not picked up in the first scan. Starting over and re-running the set-up it then found the missing tuner.

riker0314

Post by riker0314 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:55 pm

ya i have a few times

riker0314

Post by riker0314 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:09 am

ok as this is the first time i had to sit down and play with the stuff for a extended time i now feel very much stupid. I found my answer anyway. I never installed the extend by way of the hdhomerun software. Hdhomerun Setup.. once i did it came in like magic in wmc.. now if the guide problem would only get fixed

Wilky13

Post by Wilky13 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:55 am

I've read a forum before of a guy who had 12 tuners. There was a RegEdit he had to do to get it work. Google may be your friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:32 pm

riker0314 wrote:ok as this is the first time i had to sit down and play with the stuff for a extended time i now feel very much stupid. I found my answer anyway. I never installed the extend by way of the hdhomerun software. Hdhomerun Setup.. once i did it came in like magic in WMC.. now if the guide problem would only get fixed
Glad you figured it out! I've also forgotten to run the HDHomerun once or twice myself :crazy:

I gave up on the built in guide almost a year ago and switched to EPG123. The guide data is much better and very reliable. It's a free program developed by a TGBer (garyan2). The program is free and very well supported on the forum (donations are accepted!!). It does require a subscription to Schedules Direct (guide data provider). They have a 7 day free trial, 2 months for $6 I think, or a $25 annual sub. $2 a month not to worry about the MS guide is well worth it to me.

EPG123 subforum:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=99