Tuners show full strength on all channels but still stutter

Greenbutton2015

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuners show full strength on all channels but still stutter

Post by Greenbutton2015 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:37 pm

Tuners show full strength on all channels but still stutter and freeze. Having issue with OTA reception. I have 2 different tuners and moved to new house and been trying to get reliable consistent reception on the channels I want to record. I kept thinking it was my antenna not pulling in a good enough signal but today really has me baffled because both tuners show full signal strength yet still fail to show some channels without stuttering or freezing up. Also notice when I first switch to a station it may play a few seconds before pixelating and then just stops altogether. Know of any similar threads or ideas for my issue? Thanks. :?:

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:52 pm

I know this sounds like the tuners, and it probably is, but it could also be your PC itself. Is the hard drive well?

Are you ouputting straight from the PC to the TV?

What tuners? Are they network tuners, USB tuners, or internally connected tuners?

DanH

Post by DanH » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:21 am

I recommend determining whether this is a recording or playback issue. Record a few minutes of a station with a strong signal. Record in the background without displaying what you are recording.

After the recording is complete, play it back on that device and another PC (if you have another PC available), if it always stutters in exactly the same place, then the problem is with the signal or the PC writing the stream to disk. If the stuttering is moving around, then the problem is occurring on the playback side...meaning disk, video card or video card driver.
Was Danh_HP_m376n

Greenbutton2015

Post by Greenbutton2015 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Both tuners are internal one is Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 the other is an AVerMedia can't remember model number. I have had this system for quite some time but I recently moved and thought my signal was the issue but now I seem to doubt that"s the issue. It is also in the recording and live tv both. I mostly watch recordings that is why it is so frustrating because I am losing programs that are not being recorded good enough to watch.

Roginator

Post by Roginator » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:10 am

You say this is only happening to SOME channels. This would indicate to me antenna issues. Most antennas are crap. No idea what your antenna setup is, but you could try aiming it differently or getting an amplifier for it like Motorola makes. There are websites which show which direction you need to aim for your location. Many antennas are only good in one direction. http://www.signalboosterstore.com/dropamps.htm

Greenbutton2015

Post by Greenbutton2015 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Roginator wrote:You say this is only happening to SOME channels. This would indicate to me antenna issues. Most antennas are crap. No idea what your antenna setup is, but you could try aiming it differently or getting an amplifier for it like Motorola makes. There are websites which show which direction you need to aim for your location. Many antennas are only good in one direction. http://www.signalboosterstore.com/dropamps.htm
Yes I have been trying all kinds of different antenna combinations. I used to have some channels "the ones I have trouble with that showed a weaker signal" showing less than full strength in WMC settings but now they show all the green bars but I still have issues so if it is a reception issue then WMC strength indicator is wrong. My tv which comes off off the same 3 way splitter as the 2 tuners does not have an issue with these stations.

Greenbutton2015

Post by Greenbutton2015 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:41 pm

Update: I have the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 card so I tried their WinTV Digital TV signal strength monitor
Version 33310 to check my signal to noise ratio. It stayed well into the green even on stations that would have issues usually 26 to 27 on stations that were
causing dropouts.

Greenbutton2015

Post by Greenbutton2015 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:17 pm

2nd Update:
Best I can tell all my issues were due to the antenna reception. Moved my antenna a "Winegard HD7694P High Definition VHF/UHF Antenna" to a part of the attic which is actually lower and the opposite of the house from the direction of the tv station antennas I was seeking. Best I can figure the issue up in the top of the attic was due to some duct work which was running horizontally in front of but below where the antenna was mounted by about 4 ft and also another horizontal run off to the left hand side of the antenna. Even though I was showing strong signal strength it must have been reflecting off the duct work or something in this area. Hope this is of some help to others. Thanks for all the input. :mrgreen: