WMC 7 Clear QAM with Mediacom not working

rgviewer

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC 7 Clear QAM with Mediacom not working

Post by rgviewer » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:47 am

I have a Hauppauge HVR-2250 tuner card and have Mediacom with a Digital Family cable plan. They moved all their analog channels over to digital a few years ago. I do not have a cable box but have always been able to get their channels on digital channels 51.3 to 116.3 or 51.3. These are broadcasted in QAM Clear from what I understand.

Something changed last week and all the channels no longer worked on any of my TV's or through my WMC. I called Mediacom and was instructed to re-scan all my TV's. My TV's are all digital ready and after scanning I was able to get all my channels back like CNN, Discorvery Channel, ABC Family, HGTV, and everything else that is part of my family TV package. They channels remained in the same channel format like 53.13. All TV's with their built in tuners found all channels.

The problem is ever since this change I can not get a signal for the extended basic channels with my Hauppauge HVR-2250 tuner card. I am able to get my local channels ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and WB to work through my HVR-2250 tuner card but no longer able to get channels like History, or Food Channel or HGTV. They were found and working on my TV's with their built in digital ready tuners, just not with my computer TV tuner.

I have deleted all the channels inside WMC 7. and reset up my signal with in WMC. I also went into the guide setting and added the QAM channel with Modulation 256 and also tried with Modulation 64. Still it shows no signal for any of the extended channels. Local channels will work fine. Mediacom has been no help because they are not aware of using a computer tv tuner to watch or record TV.

I can not understand how my built in TV tuner on my TV's are any different then my computer TV tuner. From what I understand they both are capable of viewing QAM digital...

Short version: Extended cable and local TV broadcast work on QAM channels on DIgital ready TV, But can only view local channels on computer digital tuner card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for being so long of a post but wanted to give accurate information to anyone who may be able to share some insight.

rgviewer

Post by rgviewer » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:05 pm

Does anyone else have mediacom and are able to still view digital channels using WMC. I can't think of anything that could be different in the streams that could allow a digital tv to pick up stations that my tv tuner card could not do, but I could be wrong. Also I have tried updating my drivers on my Haupauge tuner card.

I am hoping someone has ran into this before and can shed some light on it.

Thanks

rgviewer

Post by rgviewer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:19 am

It's been almost a week and no reply. I am thinking it might have some DRM encoding maybe, I don't think the cable channels are scrambled because I am sure my TV's are not capable of de-scrambling channels. Is anyone with Mediacom else able to view cable channels within WMC 7.

Thanks

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:20 pm

rgviewer wrote:It's been almost a week and no reply. I am thinking it might have some DRM encoding maybe, I don't think the cable channels are scrambled because I am sure my TV's are not capable of de-scrambling channels. Is anyone with Mediacom else able to view cable channels within WMC 7.

Thanks
Here is the thing. If they are CLEAR QAM, there is No DRM attached to them, they are treated as OTA channels.

Ok, on your HTPC, your able to get the local channels in clear QAM (you are a very lucky person, as FCC mandated that cable comapanes are NOT requred to have locals in clear qam..jerks, I went from 12 tuners to 6), then if they are providing these channels in clear QAM you should be able to recive them on WMC.

SO, on these TVs, you are using the BUILT IN TUNER IN THE TV, no cable box or any other devices and your able to recive the channels ?

If they don't come in a scan, you MIGHT have add them manually. Pick a random channel, say like History and say it's channel is 53.13 on your TVs, go into TV area in settings.

First thing, go into edit channels, see if you can find 53.13 (our example) in the channel line up, if it is, edit the channel and select "Show Preview" if the channel DOES show in the background, then go into edit listings, do a search for History (again our example), find the guide data for the channel and hit ok and make sure the channel is "checked" when you go back to the menu.

That will manually add a channel and add guide data to it.

Now if it DOES NOT show the channel number in edit channels list.

Here's the thing, If WMC can not tune it in anyway, there is something else going on here.... Let me know where we stand from here, as if you cant manually add them and they SHOW WITH OUT A DECODER BOX on any other TV.

I have worked with a ton of cable companies, and when they went to digital, some left just local channels in QAM and a few preview channels but, nothing else. Now after the FCC change, it's very rare to find a cable company (at least as I have seen) that still gives ANYTHING in clear QAM)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

tmbeck7

Post by tmbeck7 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:26 am

I am in the exact same situation. Everything seemed fine until last week when some of my recordings wouldn't record saying the channel was off the air.

I re-scanned the channels and now I only get one over-the-air channel. I have made dozens of changes as far as wiring, using a Mediacom adapter, etc. Nothing works.

One premier support person with Mediacom said I needed to use their adapter and re-scan but that didn't work. Another said it has to be the tuner card.

The cable comes from the wall and I can hook it to the TV (9 year old Sony Bravia) and it works fine, showing every channel after a scan. But the same thing on my computer using the Hauppauge HVR-2250 on Windows 7 and I only get the one over the air channel.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the card with no change. I have submitted at least 3 requests to Hauppauge over the last week, with no replies.

I don't want to buy another card and have it not work and be stuck with it. Mediacom guy said it must not be compatible with the recent changes that Mediacom made, but no one can really tell me what they changed. I don't know if it is WMC or the card or the computer or Mediacom....

It took months of trying to get the guide to download right, now this... frustrating.

Please let me know if someone can figure this out.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:27 pm

tmbeck7 wrote:I am in the exact same situation. Everything seemed fine until last week when some of my recordings wouldn't record saying the channel was off the air.

I re-scanned the channels and now I only get one over-the-air channel. I have made dozens of changes as far as wiring, using a Mediacom adapter, etc. Nothing works.

One premier support person with Mediacom said I needed to use their adapter and re-scan but that didn't work. Another said it has to be the tuner card.
Sounds like they moved to full digital, removed clear QAM channels.... If you had them for this long, you are LUCKY. I lost mine about 2 years ago.

Their "adapter" is what is called a tuner adapter, plugging this in and scanning will do nothing. You need to use it like a external cable box (get a tuner card that will support it and a IR blaster). This is a small box, that comes with a remote. I would not count on their support, most of them dont even know this happend.

You would need to move to a cablecard now. The days of having extra tuners for CLEAR QAM are over. I had 12 tuners at one point and after Comcast killed then I went down to 6...

You can blame the FCC for this...
tmbeck7 wrote:
The cable comes from the wall and I can hook it to the TV (9 year old Sony Bravia) and it works fine, showing every channel after a scan. But the same thing on my computer using the Hauppauge HVR-2250 on Windows 7 and I only get the one over the air channel.
Is this connecting their tuner, putting it on channel 3 or the AV input and using THEIR remote ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:50 pm

@tmbeck7, if the TV can tune these channels, but WMC reports no channels found after a scan, give this procedure a try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQKxFaL5HDE

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:37 pm

d00zah wrote:@tmbeck7, if the TV can tune these channels, but WMC reports no channels found after a scan, give this procedure a try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQKxFaL5HDE
It is what I said above. I have seen this by many people, the CLEAR QAM channels are going away...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

tmbeck7

Post by tmbeck7 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:03 am

I called the maker of the Hauppauge HVR-2250 tuner card today and they suggested I download a program called capture4me and he said to run a scan for channels and see if the tuner card sees the digital channels. I did this and it did find the channels and I can see the channels. This program is evidently free to try but to use it costs $20.00.

Since capture4me was able to see the channels, I know the tuner card works and that narrows down the issue that it may be related to Windows Media Center not working right. I may see if my son can swing by and reinstall WMC and see if that might resolve the issue.

I will try the other suggestions this weekend to see if that might resolve the issue as well.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:57 pm

tmbeck7 wrote:I called the maker of the Hauppauge HVR-2250 tuner card today and they suggested I download a program called capture4me and he said to run a scan for channels and see if the tuner card sees the digital channels. I did this and it did find the channels and I can see the channels. This program is evidently free to try but to use it costs $20.00.

Since capture4me was able to see the channels, I know the tuner card works and that narrows down the issue that it may be related to Windows Media Center not working right. I may see if my son can swing by and reinstall WMC and see if that might resolve the issue.

I will try the other suggestions this weekend to see if that might resolve the issue as well.
Can you see them and tune them ? If you look through the "edit channels" and scroll down there is a lot of stuff that WMC fines but, with a lock next to it meaning it's encrypted and would need a cable card to tune.

I would pick a random channel that you KNOW you should get (trying on a HDTV directly and was able to view) and go into and manually add a QAM channel. Once you add it, you can add guide data into it. Try that channel in the guide to see if you will see signal on the channel (if able to view), you might have to add them manually or re-run TV setup to see if they find them.

It's possible that WMC just cant find it, although a rare issue, it does happen.

If you need to roll back to first run (complexly reset WMC and delete all data) there are a few processes to do it and there is a few ways to back up all your recorded shows. So before you NUKE, back things up.

I am wondering what you find out, it's an odd issue.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

tmbeck7

Post by tmbeck7 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:54 am

My son showed me how to uninstall a Windows component - WMC and I also deleted all the fines in the ehome folder, then restarted the computer and went back in an turned WMC back on under Windows Components (Add Remove Programs). I scanned the channels again and still only get the one over the air channel.

There are only 12 channels that show up without the lock, which are local channels.

I went in and manually added a channel that I knew the TV could get and that Connect4me can get and added the channel and added it to the guide and it came up with an error that says the channel is encrypted.

How an that be? is there a Windows Update that is now blocking WMC from seeing the channels and things every channel that is not local is supposed to be encrypted?

I just don't get it. I know the tuner is working.... the only thing it could be is WMC. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

tmbeck7

Post by tmbeck7 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:02 am

There are similar issues on a site for those using HD Homerun - https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=64102

Could this be a Windows update that is causing this?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:18 am

tmbeck7 wrote:There are similar issues on a site for those using HD Homerun - https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=64102

Could this be a Windows update that is causing this?
it very well could be an update.. When I build my WMC machines, I start with a Windows 7 SP1 iso, I check the Windows update catalog (web site), double check for ANY updates DIRECTLY for WMC and install accordingly (also the .net ones as they are needed). Then I completely disable the Windows update service.

As Microsoft killed off WMC officially, new patches are not fully tested with WMC....I gave up fighting this battle a long time ago. Keep in mind In my area I have nothing for clear QAM channels any more, so I cant be much help but, I know of this very well.

When did this start ? Check system restore, do you have a restore point BEFORE this started happening ? If so, attempt to restore it. Keep in mind if you have any DRM protected shows, it's possible by doing this the ones recorded after the restore point might not play back. Just a FYI on that one..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

tmbeck7

Post by tmbeck7 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:03 pm

I realized that I have the Windows Updates turned off, so that can't be an issue, although I have Microsoft Security Essentials that updated regularly. Any thoughts whether that might be interfering?

Maybe I till turn off MSE and try to run another scan.

tmbeck7

Post by tmbeck7 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:12 pm

I ran another scan at one point there were 14 channels, then it went down to 1 again, so I ran the scan yet another time and stopped it at 8 channels found. I could see the channels in the guide, but when I went to the channels it said "Video Error - Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. Restart Windows Media Center or restart the computer.

I restarted WMC and seen the same error, so I restarted. Once I restarted there were less channels showing in the guide but I could watch a few channels. After a bit more research online I found this page:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... ble-ready/

where I learned that on WMC under Extras, then go to the Digital Cable Advisor button - it has a photo of the end of a cable connection. There I ran a scan to see if my computer can handle digital cable... which it used to just fine.

The scan came up with a failure under Graphics saying "Your graphics card or driver does not meet the minimum requirements."

Can others with this same issue, try running the Digital Cable Advisor and post their results?

tmbeck7

Post by tmbeck7 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:07 am

Did another fresh reinstall... no change.

This time I didn't run a scan, I tried to add a channel manually and it didn't work, then it started downloading down in the tray "Processing 309582078_listing data...

which is the number for the over the air channels where only one channel comes in. All the right channels started coming into the guide listing then they all went away.

Then it said "Error during the last update" down in the tray when I mouse over the WMC icon. Looking in the Event Viewer for Media Center it says "Failed to retrieve nettv (Error: PackageName is invalid.) "

Could this mean the issue is with the Rovi guide.... again?

It downloads some channels that we have never had before that are blank (service is scrambled) from channel 9000 to channel 9006

9:21:56 PM - The Directory package is already up to date. 9:21:56 PM - The SportsSchedule package is already up to date. 9:21:56 PM - The SportsV2 package is already up to date. 9:21:56 PM - The ClientUpdate package is already up to date. 9:21:56 PM - The MCESpotlight package is already up to date. 9:21:56 PM - The NetworkMetadata package is not available. 9:21:56 PM - Testing internet connection. 9:21:59 PM - Connection established. 9:22:00 PM - Retrieving nettv. 9:22:01 PM - Retrieving nettv.

Looking back at the error log, the issue started with a recording on January 17 not getting recorded - due to no signal. Then it seemed to work off and on with some programs not being recored and then on February 7 the Failed to retrieve nettv (Error: PackageName is invalid.) error started.

Any thoughts? Maybe I just have to wait until Rovi fixes this?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:00 am

tmbeck7 wrote: where I learned that on WMC under Extras, then go to the Digital Cable Advisor button - it has a photo of the end of a cable connection. There I ran a scan to see if my computer can handle digital cable... which it used to just fine.

The scan came up with a failure under Graphics saying "Your graphics card or driver does not meet the minimum requirements."

Can others with this same issue, try running the Digital Cable Advisor and post their results?
Try the DCA Override. You have to be registered and logged in to get the file. Read the article first so you know what to expect.

https://missingremote.com/guide/overrid ... a-center-7

tmbeck7

Post by tmbeck7 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:02 pm

I tried the DCA Override and WMC still only finds the one over-the-air channel.

I just don't understand as it seems that maybe the guide is the issue? The channels that show up on the list under Edit channels are not the right numbers. Some are in the 9000's and some are in the 100's. Most of the digital channels should be in the 50's and 60's like 51.5 or 54.13.

The digital channels are there but something is going on with that Rovi guide. Could that be why some channels began disappearing?

Any ideas?

Is there an alternative out there to Windows Media Center?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:04 pm

tmbeck7 wrote:Is there an alternative out there to Windows Media Center?
Did the sign fall down again?

tmbeck7

Post by tmbeck7 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:46 pm

I gave up on trying to scan the channels and installed the Win-TV ap that comes from Hauppaung. A scan using that program showed the digital channels for the signal. Probably mapped wrong for WMC or some sort of issue. Channel 51.1 (Hallmark) came in on channel 71.1 and others followed the same pattern. The first set of numbers are not correct. Where the first two numbers were 16, I changed it to 79 and then used same numbers to the right of the dot that Mediacom said they should be and the channel came in when I manually added the channel.

I replaced the channel numbers with 52 (to the right of the dot) with 72, changed 53 to 73. Changed 53 to 73 and 54 to 74. This worked for most channels.

I can now at least record again on the channels I have manually added.... at least until the numbers change again.

I am also experimenting with a free program called NextPVR that seems like it might work like WMC, with a guide and can record or watch live TV.http://www.nextpvr.com/