Migrate WMC settings to new system

artm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Migrate WMC settings to new system

Post by artm » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:29 pm

So, I'm forced to move from a laptop system to a SFF thanks to the Comcast/Intel MPEG4 fiasco and am wondering if I can transfer over WMC settings.

That is, install Win7 on the new system, copy over the ehome directory, import the registry tree and then install WMC. My hope is that this will save those tweaks I've done through the years. Frankly, the registry tweaks are what I'd prefer to save, the rest in WMC I can duplicate manually.

Just a hope...not expecting success and am prepared to reinstall from scratch. Uggh!
-Art --
Win7 Ultimate x64 (NO UPDATES!), EPG123 v1.1.19, Schedules Direct, HDHomerun Prime,
Dell 980 SFF, i5, Nvidia GT710
Dell 780 SFF, i5, HD4000

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:03 pm

artm wrote:So, I'm forced to move from a laptop system to a SFF thanks to the Comcast/Intel MPEG4 fiasco and am wondering if I can transfer over WMC settings.

That is, install Win7 on the new system, copy over the ehome directory, import the registry tree and then install WMC. My hope is that this will save those tweaks I've done through the years. Frankly, the registry tweaks are what I'd prefer to save, the rest in WMC I can duplicate manually.

Just a hope...not expecting success and am prepared to reinstall from scratch. Uggh!
backup the recording schedule and call it a day. If you try to export the registry from another machine, unless you really know what your looking for, you could be just asking for trouble.

Look over the details of your install, make notes, if you need an app, or you have a setting you like (custom menu edits, or themes ?). Back then up to an external drive.

I would start with the basics, Get WIndows installed, Get WMC drivers installed (Driver for tuner and codec package needed), get live TV working. AT THAT POINT, use a backup program to clone your drive (I prefer acronis), then add you recorded shows back and any little settings needed.

If you make a change that breaks it, restore your backup.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

artm

Post by artm » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:57 pm

Yes, I know it's wishful thinking. I do keep a log (text file) of what software I've installed and the tweaks, so recreating it all will just take time.

As long as I can get over this Comcast hurdle.
-Art --
Win7 Ultimate x64 (NO UPDATES!), EPG123 v1.1.19, Schedules Direct, HDHomerun Prime,
Dell 780 SFF, i5, HD4000

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:49 pm

artm wrote:Yes, I know it's wishful thinking. I do keep a log (text file) of what software I've installed and the tweaks, so recreating it all will just take time.

As long as I can get over this Comcast hurdle.
Creating the perfect Media Center /AKA: Home theater PC, is always a work in progress.

Good Luck !
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:46 am

There are imaging softwares like Acronis that can restore to a different Machine.
That is you can backup from one machine and restore to another.

It is not cheap but if you have access to a copy or know where to get a copy it is an option.

artm

Post by artm » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:37 pm

Yep, I'm aware of that but hardly worth the money just for thsi exercise. Oh well...
-Art --
Dell 780 SFF, i5, HD4000

artm

Post by artm » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:55 pm

Success...sort of.

So, while I originally wanted to copy my laptop setup over to a Dell SFF, I realized the drastic change in hardwre would not be worth the trouble.Also, although I do not keep junk on the laptop, starting off with a clean installation has value.

So, I installed the same software onto a Dell SFF and had that completely running, with recording schedule, Play Ready and all. Now, I need a second identical system setup. So...

1. I used Clonezilla to create an image of the original (first) drive.
2. I then restored this image to the new system.
3. Ran HDHomerun Config for the same tuners.
4. Did a Play Ready reset, following this link by Viperboy:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=6&t=3760

5. Imported the original recordign schedule following this link:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 38#p114138

That's it.

While I know the procedure is not as useful as migrating to completely different hardware, it was useful to my situation and saved me a lot of time. Plus, I have animage backup ready to go in case of trouble.

Of course, more work is required if you want to re-play DRM recordings from the original system but that was not an issue for me as I had very few of these and they were easily replaced.
-Art --
Dell 780 SFF, i5, HD4000