Odd error every recording

bshiers82501

HTPC Specs: Show details

Odd error every recording

Post by bshiers82501 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:57 am

I'm getting the following error on every recording after a fresh install of Windows 7 due to some other issues I was seeing... I have a 4 tuner internal Ceton card and 2 HDHR primes... No turning adapters... I disabled windows updates after the initial round to get. NET on the machine for mcl and tunersalad... Although I get the error the program always records... Any ideas? Image

TYIA

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:33 am

It's likely that at least one of the devices (the Ceton or one of the Primes) is malfunctioning, unavailable, or in use (you don't have anything else using the tuners, I suppose). You may have to run through the diagnostics on each to make sure they appear functional, are properly getting a signal. Consider perhaps redoing setup to leave out a device, like the Ceton, and see if you can pinpoint which device. You probably still get the recording because after that message, WMC usually tries to cycle to a next tuner and try again.
-Alan

Roginator

Post by Roginator » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:31 am

I get that after adding an ancient OnAir HDTV GT USB tuner. (I had a 3-tuner HDHomerun Prime already) I just assumed that Media Center times out at the first attempt, but succeeds at the second. It also makes watching live TV on certain channels impossible -- since Media Center doesn't wait long enough for a signal. The workaround for that is to start a recording and then watch that.

The only reason I added the USB tuner is because my lame local cable company bought the local CBS affiliate and they decided to copy protect that one channel on cable. The OTA signal is still fine. This is important to me so that comskip can run.

Timbo2

Post by Timbo2 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:56 pm

Do you know the order of tuners that is being tried?

If one tuner fails, WMC tries the next available tuner that also carries the station. On SiliconDust devices as the power supplies begin to age and to fail sometimes they will prevent all tuners from being used. They usually fail under load so you can't test them with just a voltmeter.

But if the internal Ceton is the what is being used first that's obviously not the reason.

But if you have a spare power supply of the proper voltage and amperage I'd try it.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:57 pm

Edit channels, Edit channel 543(as shown above), Edit Sources, click " Show preview" Test each source one by one (highlight each tuner one by one, it should start playing live tv in the background). When you find the one that is not working (not showing a preview), You can fix the problem, or just uncheck that source.

The order of the tuners is by the number of tuners (when you edit sources you will see what I mean)

Once unchecked or moved to the bottom WMC will no longer look at that tuner for that channel and that message will go away. It will got through each tuner and once it sees a signal it will stop and record. If you see this message a few times, it means a few sources didn't have a signal.

For Example, My Infinity TV has 6 tuners, If I am working on it, and I forget to plugin the cable (as I have done in the past) that Windows will pop up 6 times. Telling me, it tried each tuner one by one and could not find a signal.

Hope this helps.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:49 pm

@bshiers82501, before editing tuners, I would suggest checking the following:

In 'Recorded TV;, select 'view scheduled' > 'History' and find the event that failed to record (see attached image). Note that it will indicate which tuner WMC tried to use. Check multiple, similar events... there will likely be a trend towards a particular tuner card.

As it eventually records, it found a viable tuner, so you need to determine if it's Ceton vs HDHR, or if you have a particular tuner going south. If it turns out to be isolated to the Ceton card in general, the quickest/dirtiest fix I've found, when this happens to me, is to reinstall the Ceton drivers & reboot. This typically resolves the issue until whatever caused it in the 1st place recurs. YMMV

bshiers82501

Post by bshiers82501 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:30 pm

Thanks to all the help I have this limited down to the first tuner on one of the primes... I think it was stuck as it showed it was actively on based on the lights on front of the box but it never showed as being in use in the web interface... In going to do some test recordings tonight and see if this cleans up the issue... I also have a ticket opened up with silicon dust as well... Thanks for all the help everybody!

bshiers82501

Post by bshiers82501 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:51 am

Test recordings went great!! Looks like that tuner being stuck was the issue