Which programs are deleting my WMC channels?

convertapple

HTPC Specs: Show details

Which programs are deleting my WMC channels?

Post by convertapple » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:31 pm

I have set up a perfect WMC a number of times (last done 2 days ago) but within 24 hours or longer something happens and channels disappear permanently (not just disabled), usually from extra transponders that I have added (after the out of date Microsoft setup has been run) for missing HD channels. I suspect it is GuideTool but don't know for sure, as re-running GuideTool restore a number of times yesterday, slowly removed more and more channels permanently (not just disabling them) until there were only about 10 (from 70) left.

I run EPG-Centre (front end for EPG Collector), Guide Tool (registered), My Channel Logos (registered) & ServerWMC but don't know for sure which is causing this degradation or if it is some WMC update itself?

I have today done another fresh setup (deleted everything from ehome folder) I see listings are back! the loss of which made me go down the EPG collector route, but am loathe to waste hours yet again, setting it all up only for it to self-corrupt at some random point in the future. So before I go through this all again, does anyone on here have some insight into what might be causing the issue?

Also What is the best way to take a snapshot of the entire WMC setup so I can revert back if it corrupts again to the exact same machine. Is it just to clone the entire ehome folder? TIA

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:41 am

I usually just use the built in Windows System Image to get a backup of the OS as well as WMC. Actually as soon as I get one running correctly, System Image is the "First" thing I do.

I use Guide Tool to edit the Duplicates and Foreign channels, make a backup, then restore on a new build.

I have heard of EPG Collector, and that other one you mention, but I have never used it.

Question for ya. What are you using WMCServer for?

convertapple

Post by convertapple » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:46 pm

That's "ServerWMC" enables LiveTV from WMC to Kodi (I use MrMC version of Kodi on AppleTV4 + iPhone/iPads). It's pretty solid (for Kodi).

Yer, I was hoping there was a quicker method than imaging the partition.

I have since discovered what's happening and it seems to be EPG Collector that is causing the problem

.Run EPG Collector to collect EPG for various channels
.Assign a channel to an EPG-channel (I use Guide Tool)
.Remove that EPG-Channel from EPG Collector channels
.Re-run EPG Collection
.That channel will now have vanished entirely from WMC, Re-adding it then Re-running EPG Collector will not restore it. Re-scanning the lost channels transponder will also not restore it. It has totally vanished! It must still be 'known' by WMC as a transponder re-scan doesn't restore it (no new channels found!), so the que is how do I get them back?

I note that a ServerWMC 'Channel Load Results' has this message which could be related to these lost channels:-
Strange Channels> Null space: 0, Out-of-range(ignored): 29

Any help or pointers much appreciated. Is there a file or db for the channels I could inspect?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:43 pm

I have no experience with EPG Collector, try these guys>>>>> http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 02#p102702