H.264 woes

Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:57 am

stuartm wrote:displaying black screen/possibly only sound
I have been having some luck with black screen with sound on Ceton Echo. Start playing with the remote buttons....pause-FF-RW-Play-Etc

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:37 pm

stuartm wrote:There is a separate bug where protected h.264 doesn't play on Intel GPU's there is nothing that Comcast can do to change that (other than not protecting channels. since they are contractually obligated to do the protect that isn't going to change). The only fix for the protected h.264/Intel GPU problem is to use a different GPU. So if that is what you are hitting It's not going to get any better without a GPU change.
OK, thanks for clarifying.

msoengineer

Post by msoengineer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:50 pm

stuartm wrote:There is a separate bug where protected h.264 doesn't play on Intel GPU's there is nothing that Comcast can do to change that (other than not protecting channels. since they are contractually obligated to do the protect that isn't going to change). The only fix for the protected h.264/Intel GPU problem is to use a different GPU. So if that is what you are hitting It's not going to get any better without a GPU change.
I was able to find a forum on Intel's website relating to the Black screen and only audio when using Intel Integrated graphics. The last update says that they are aware of the issue and they're working on it. Apparently the issue has been fixed for users using Windows 8/8.1. Intel is working with Microsoft for windows 7...https://communities.intel.com/thread/10 ... 5&tstart=0

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:59 pm

Very good info, mso. Thanks for locating and sharing. i really did not want to spend money on a card that adds heat and cost to fix issue, so good to dear someone is on the case. It is also a small embarrassment for Intel that maybe they would like to deal with if not too costly. Fingers crossed!

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:27 pm

Wow, that problem has been around on Intel for years. It would be great if they could come up with a solution for Win 7. I for one have had to add Nvidia boards to all my HTPC's which of course all have intel GPUs originally. The Nvidias work great but I could reduce my power consumption if I could go back to the Intel on-board graphics. Wonder if they will be able to do a driver-only change since I would be very surprised if Microsoft ever releases any further WMC updates for Win 7.

Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

Post by Ken H » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:10 pm

Ken H wrote: I'll report back if anything changes or if I hear anything from Comcast.
It's been over 3 months since I've last heard from Comcast. I've asked for an update a few times and not received any reply.

At this point I have no idea what to expect. If I hear back I'll post here.

My only suggestion is anyone with the same issue go to DSLReports.com, register, and ask the question in the Comcast Direct forum.

msoengineer

Post by msoengineer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:47 pm

msoengineer wrote: I was able to find a forum on Intel's website relating to the Black screen and only audio when using Intel Integrated graphics. The last update says that they are aware of the issue and they're working on it. Apparently the issue has been fixed for users using Windows 8/8.1. Intel is working with Microsoft for windows 7...https://communities.intel.com/thread/10 ... 5&tstart=0
So I did a fresh install of Win 8.1 w/MCE and no dice to get HBO to work...So I guess Intel/MSFT never fixed the issue for Win 8/8.1.
It's rather obvious the issue is with Intel since MCE works fine on NVIDIA and ATI cards.
The issue is for folks that have Intel graphics on laptops and NUC's or similar devices where you can't install a dedicated card or overide the intel drivers.

I have a 6th gen laptop with a dedicated NVDIA card, but cannot force MCE to use it, only for 3D purposes.
The laptop I just installed win8.1 on is a 6th gen too running intel HD530 using the latest Dec 2017 drivers.

No news on the intel forum either....I don't think this will ever get resolved as the MCE team at windows has long been disbanded and MCE is EOL'd.
What's more freaky is that PlayReady and DCA won't download from within MCE anymore either.
I think MSFT is slowly killing off anyone new from being able to use MCE....

One can hope intel keeps pushing on.

msoengineer

Post by msoengineer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:46 pm

I am trying to get Ronald at Intel to provide an update. His last post on Feb 6th disappeared from their forum.
Maybe more of you guys with NUC's and Intel Only video cards can try and bump the thread to get some attention?
Thanks for you help!

https://communities.intel.com/thread/10 ... 5&tstart=0

Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

Post by Ken H » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:20 am

msoengineer wrote:
msoengineer wrote: It's rather obvious the issue is with Intel since MCE works fine on NVIDIA and ATI cards.
You are totally incorrect.

I have 3 PC's running Windows 7 Media Center, HDHomeRun Prime, Comcast CableCard. One is a laptop with Intel CPU and integrated graphics, one a desktop with nVidia graphics card, and another desktop with AMD graphics card. All hardware is confirmed by the manufacturers as being MPEG4 compatible.

I have the exact same problem with a black screen and only audio, when changing back and forth between MPEG2 and MPEG4 channels. Sometimes switching locks up the tuner and you must close and restart WMC to view any channel,

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:31 pm

I thought the Intel (Integrated Graphics) issue centered around MPEG 4 (h.264) Copy Once premium channels (HBO, Starz etc.) wherein once gets sound but no picture. Not so???