How I am using my own version of AERO

aseries

HTPC Specs: Show details

How I am using my own version of AERO

Post by aseries » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:47 pm

:twisted: Remember AERO? Streaming broadcast TV from anywhere using their forest of tiny antennas? It was killed off by a soup of weasley lawyers and overstrained regulation.
I have developed my own version that works so well I hesitate to tell about it lest the FBI show up at my door.
What makes it work are two pieces of free software that I figure could disappear at any time.
I am a long time user of Windows Media Center ever since Windows 7 appeared. It took several years finding the right hardware for Comcast cable recording and a home network speedy enough to stream it all. About two years ago I discovered TEAMVIEWER for remote access and control of my network devices. Almost by accident I found I could access Windows Media Center from anywhere that had a reasonably high speed internet connection. The frame rate is less than perfect but I can watch TV recordings and live TV from most places where we travel. Windows Media Center runs on a server built from an older fairly high performance gaming machine. The server, HDHOMERUN Prime and Comcast cable modem are powered on a UPS. There are two other Windows 7 systems that run on laptops. These get used to remote access the WMC server but then I discovered TEAMVIEWER also works from Android devices. Occasionally I have been able to use an Android smartphone or Android tablet. TEAMVIEWER is free for non-commercial use. From time to time I get a blurb that I MIGHT be violating that agreement, which I am not. No one knows the eventual fate of Windows Media Center or free TEAMVIEWER.
The irony in all this activity on my part appeared when I upgraded my COMCAST to XFINITY X1 to get a higher speed cable modem. With it came a new cable box and system that has TV recording software that functions much like WMC. I am using X1 to record a lot of stuff for my wife but it has nowhere near a big enough storage capacity to compare with the 3 TB in my WMC server. Now XFINITY is hinting at remote access to TV content using any capable internet device.

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:11 pm

I decided to give TEAMVIEWER a try and it is an interesting way to make WMC usable over the internet.

I noticed that WMC doesn't display when full screen. I've seen this with other remote software. Do you know a work around for this besides making it a window?

One other thing I noticed... Protected content will display if the TV connected to my HTPC is on (a valid HDMI monitor). If the TV is off, all protected (e.g. copy once) content won't play. Also, recordings of protected content won't play.

aseries

Post by aseries » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:26 am

I think it a display driver issue. I have the same issue. The nested displays want more resolution than is possible. What Tuner are you using? I have a HDHOMERUN Prime with a COMCAST MCARD and I can access all the channels in my plan.

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:59 pm

aseries wrote:I think it a display driver issue. I have the same issue. The nested displays want more resolution than is possible. What Tuner are you using? I have a HDHOMERUN Prime with a COMCAST MCARD and I can access all the channels in my plan.
I'm using a Hauppauge 2650 dual cablecard tuner.