No "burn to video" option?

kansanian

HTPC Specs: Show details

No "burn to video" option?

Post by kansanian » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:26 am

Been a while since trying this. Go to put in a DVD to burn a TV show, get some error about not enough room on disk. Try from "settings" menu and see that the ONLY option is to burn a "data" disc. Video option is just MIA.

No idea on next steps. I can't seem to find out much other than one random thread to reset WMC complete, which, I'd rather try something else first, but don't know where to look for such an issue. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... b599b31bf5

...is that the only option, or, has anyone else seen this and have any ideas?

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:45 pm

how big was the file (look in the recorded TV folder)? How long was the program? Assuming this was not a DVD-9 (dual layer) media.

You may ned to do some sort of recoding/resizing to make it fit onto a single DVD.

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:46 pm

Did you do any troubleshooting? Maybe try to burn another TV show to a disc as a test?

Choose a small (half hour or less) show to burn to ensure the transcoding and disc writing both work properly.

Be sure it's not a show from a network like HBO that is copy-protected, they usually can't be burned to DVD as video, only as data.

kansanian

Post by kansanian » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:15 pm

WMC should re-size to fit. It's able to auto shrink a little bit to fit things onto a disc. It was a ~69 min. "1hr." TV show. Also tried a 30 min. TV show, under 3GB. Same problem.

After some reading, I think it's codecs. Will try to reset them tonight and then try another burn.

kansanian

Post by kansanian » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:20 pm

oakley516 wrote:Did you do any troubleshooting? Maybe try to burn another TV show to a disc as a test?

Choose a small (half hour or less) show to burn to ensure the transcoding and disc writing both work properly.

Be sure it's not a show from a network like HBO that is copy-protected, they usually can't be burned to DVD as video, only as data.
Yes, tried a 30 min. show from Fox network, to be sure it wasn't a) size, b) copy protected. Disc was recognized OK by burner.
Transcoding, now that you mention it, is a factor - both shows I tried were HD, so it'd have to be converted down to SD to burn.

Read elsewhere (don't have the link handy at the moment) that it may be codecs (Sharks, in my case) causing something weird. I can see that being the case.
Will try a "reset" within those first, then full removal, then, re-install to see if it can all exist happily. I've never had a problem with "Sharks" codec pack before, but it'd make sense if that somehow "took over" some system level thing that WMC doesn't "see" anymore to be able to do its transcode.

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:49 pm

The codecs shouldn't have an effect on burning a tv show to a dvd though because Windows 7 has the necessary codecs built in.

You can also try using the Windows DVD Maker to burn the tv show and see if you have any luck with that.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:19 pm

kansanian wrote: Transcoding, now that you mention it, is a factor - both shows I tried were HD, so it'd have to be converted down to SD to burn.
It shouldn't have to really do any "transcoding", and since it's MPEG2 inside the WMC created file, and a DVD can handle HD sized screens, it should be just a matter of putting it onto the DVD in the right places.

As mentioned, try movie maker or any of the other freely available DVD creation tools available as an alternative process.

kansanian

Post by kansanian » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:45 pm

I think that it still does technically transcode due to moving from HD-->SD.
My guess on the codecs is that Sharks codecs "took over" some element that WMC is trying to look for by default.
It likely needs said "default" setting / system element / registry entry for calling the option to make a "video DVD"

I did also try the Windows DVD Maker, but it failed after a few minutes. Not sure if it was due to a funky disc, something weird with the drive, or what. It was late, and I'd given up at that point & posted here :)

In any case, I'll give it another go tonight and post back with results.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:13 pm

Third party codecs are ALWAYS the answer on things like this.

kansanian

Post by kansanian » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:36 am

After much experimentation, I have it back to working, but have no idea where this setting is exposed in the "main" Sharks codecs window. Might have to contact them.
Uninstalling completely also resolves the problem, of course.

In any case, this brought it back, and doesn't seem to have affected anything else so far (in the x64 settings of Sharks codecs)
- Help tab
- List - Enable/disable codecs
- Enabled the "MPEG Video Decoder (last one listed under system32\quartz.dll)

Burn "video DVD" option is back, and the codecs still appear to do the things they need to do.